My wife and I just saw a beautiful house that we'd love to purchase and live in. Hardwood floors throughout, new sheetrock, plenty of space.... we love it...
Then we went down into the basement. I found 2 problems, one of which was faint noise coming from a very small closet-like area behind a tiny door.
It was a Radon reduction system. It looked like a fat PVC pipe with a liquid-filled leveller on the side.
I've never owned a home that needed one of these. Obviously, the home had enough radon to warrant putting in that system, but should I not buy this house because of it? The thought of radon in my home makes me nervous, especially since I have a young child.
Any professional advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as comments from anyone who has one of these systems in their home.