Home>Discussions>KITCHENS>Help with cast iron sink resurface
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Help with cast iron sink resurface

I am new to this forum, so bear with me if there has been a discussion on this topic. I searched and didn't find anything, but may have not searched properly.

Here is my problem. I have an old (probably 1930's) cast iron farm sink. It is evident that in the past it has been painted or refinished (I know this because it is peeling). It also has a couple of chips that have been painted over. I have been told that refinishing techniques that work on bathtubs will not hold up to the daily use of a kitchen sink. I have also been told that the absolute best way to make it "like new" is to have it removed and re-porceleined (sp?). I cannot find anything online to tell me how to contact someone who would do this. I live in the Austin Texas area and feel certain there are bound to be restorers that can handle this, but have not been able to find anyone.

Anybody out there want to take this on?


Re: Help with cast iron sink resurface

Hi! I have exactly the same problem! I had the sink "re-enameled" which means repainted and it did not last 1 month. Very disappointed! Now I cannot find anyone to re-porcelain it. It is my dream sink, but I may have to just go with a new one:(. any help would be appreciated!

Re: Help with cast iron sink resurface

Maybe look around in the link below


Re: Help with cast iron sink resurface

The problem is you cant put new porcelain over old. Sink refinishing holds up well. We do it all the time. You have to realize if you drop a heavy pan in there it will chip, but so will an original porcelain sink. We acid etch the porcelain to bond the new top coat to the old. It will last that way. Do Not buy the "do it yourself kit" from the big box stores, they will not work. www.resurfacespecialist.com :)

The Boss
Re: Help with cast iron sink resurface

What about powder coating?

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.