YOUR Old House Remodel Contest | Joseph C.
After 37 years, it was time to reside. I often do my own work but due to my age and lack of experience with James Hardy Siding, I yielded to a contractor for the siding. I'm highly skilled and will only work with a contractor if they allow me to work with them. Over the years, I've been invited to work with some of the contractors who've worked for me. Using Azek, I designed all of the trim profiles for the project, taught the contractor's team how to make the window casings (per the windows I had previously trimmed to match the original trim) and they completed the remaining windows. I made all of the front door trim from scratch in the shop, mixing lumber with Azek and installed the same. I trimmed the side and French deck doors and all of the garage door opening and casings in Azek trim and sheet goods. As the contractor moved around the house, if he had an unusual problem, I told him I'd resolve it, so he could continue along, e.g., there was a very small gap between the corner board trim and the side of the deck ledger board, exposing the house wrap. Instead of a fat glob of caulking, I took a 12" x 2" x 3/4" piece of Azek scrap from the dumpster, fashioned a piece that measured 5/8" wide at the top to 1 5/8" wide at the bottom and tapered the thickness from 3/16" at the top to 5/8" at the bottom, by hand. I created a 5/8" x 1" piece of "Z" flashing, secured the flashing to the sheathing, flexed the Azek into position and secured it in place with a Cortex screw and bun. Matches the JH siding profile perfectly. On the side entrance, I had custom cedar support brackets made and installed them. Using Azek off-cuts (again, pulled from the dumpster) and profiles, modified and routed for a better visual perspective/presentation, I coffered the entrance ceiling and infilled with bead board. I hung all the lights, rewired the outlet boxes and added new waterproof covers. I had a sprinkler system installed recently and I have to make an Azek eustachian to close the hole where the water supply pipe pierces the siding. It's taped closed for the winter and will be dealt with in the spring. I'll be touching up some additional areas where I have to craft a few other small pieces to cover gaps. The stone veneer was done the year prior to the siding. I had to chisel some of the mortar away around the foundation and porch in order to get the siding/trim fit properly. I re-mortared the areas when the contractor was done. I addressed areas that I've wanted to modify since I bought the house 38 years ago. We closed off the gable vents and added Cobra FasciaFlow and plastic baffles to better vent the attic. I met Tommy at a home show back in the 80's and still have a sketch on a napkin (somewhere!!) of a similar way TOH made a fascia vent using pine with a routed shadow line on its leading edge and Cobra ridge vent material on a house you worked on in the historic district in Boston. I was going to use that detail until I was shown the FasciaFlow product by the contractor. I opted to use that instead and save on the time/labor it would've taken me to make all of the fascia material. Also, the front door entrance trim out is from the plans for the Rumford mantle and trim for Norm's LR fireplace. Thank you New Yankee Workshop!! You should see the furniture I've made and all of the indoor projects I've done, thanks to TOH/NYW. I've been watching since Bob Vila (yea, I said his name and I know you got a chill down your spine when you read that, lol). Would love to share photos of my life with TOH and the war stories of my conversations with the crew over the years at home shows. Tom, Rich, Norm and Steve Thomas are all represented in my home. Tom with the fascia detail, Rich hooked me up with his contact in Niagra, NY, who custom made me a radiant heat, riser panel for my side entrance, Norm provided me with NYW plans for furniture (teachers don't make a lot so it was easier and more fun to make them instead of buying them!!) and gave me the name of the suppliers who carried the Elu Biscut joiner (before every other tool company was making them. I needed it to speed up the making of the kitchen cabinets I was making.) and the Long Island Co. that was making Peel Away before it was being publicly distributed. I wanted to strip all of the lead paint off of the trim (had two small children at the time), prior to staining and urethane application. It was cheaper to strip and restore than tear out and replace all the woodwork in the house. Steve inspired my plan for the kitchen renovation. Based on his book and our conversation at yet another show, I drew up the plans and a kitchen designer built it in 3D (new technology at the time), to order the cabinets. They installed cabinets and Corian. I did all construction, oak floor, tile back splash, etc. Talk about "sweat equity! I could go on but don't want to bore you (in case I haven't by now!).
Long 3/4 shot of the front of the house, pre-tearoff. 1938 vintage cedar shake with about 5 coats of oil paint and 3 coats of latex.
Long 3/4 shot after siding installation.
Side entrance, pre-tearoff. Very plain and have wanted to "dress it up" for 30 years. 2" x 4" supports and the ceiling is tacked up aluminum soffit material and J-channel.
Side entrance, after renovation. Cedar Brackets, coffered ceiling with bead board paneling, all in Azek PVC. Paint was matched to the James Hardy siding/trim factory colors.
Get the latest This Old House news, updates and special offers every week, direct to your inbox.
Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.