The project is more than halfway through construction. Kevin O’Connor gives a full progress tour of the two-story addition. The tour begins downstairs in the garage, then moves upstairs to the large primary suite with a laundry room, where plumber Brian Bilo has installed an automatic shutoff system to safeguard against a flood in case of a leak in the plumbing system.
On a tour of the primary bathroom, Charlie Silva tells Kevin his approach to handling changes at this phase in the project, like the change to the shower wall design.
In contrast to the new addition, the rooms in the original gambrel are small and tight, yet Tom Silva is tasked with building a closet in one of the bedrooms. To maximize space, he makes a shallow closet tight against the chimney using metal studs for combustible reasons.
Outside, trenches were dug, and 2500-gallon cisterns have been craned in for a water harvesting system. Jenn Nawada meets with civil engineer John Morin to break down the different parts of the system.
Kevin and homeowner Helen visit a factory in New Hampshire where light fixtures are made by hand. Operations manager Dustin Almon gives them a tour of the manufacturing process.
Back at the house, the old barn has been demolished and replaced with a new barnlike boathouse that was built in a factory and fully assembled on-site in one day. Factory President Everett Skinner narrates the process. Richard Trethewey shares a solution for venting a gas boiler that mimics the look of a plumbing vent stack pipe. Then, the crew heads out back to check on the progress of the boathouse assembly. Meanwhile, Jenn checks in with landscape contractor Fred Pendleton who is busy protecting shrubs and a maple tree for future planting.
Original Air Date: May 18, 2023, Season 44; Ep. 23 23:42
Products and resources from this episode
- Plumbing contractor: Bilo Plumbing & Heating
- Lumber mill side trip: Robbins Lumber, Inc.
- Lumber supplier: Northeast Lumber Manufacturers Association
- Paint manufacturer: Sherwin Williams
- Water management expert assistance: The Morin-Cameron Group, Inc.
- Light fixtures manufacturer: Northeast Lantern
- Boathouse factory assembly: The Barn Yard Store
- Masonry contractor: Shea Concrete Products, Inc.
- HVAC system manufacturer: The Unico System
- Landscaping contractor: K & R Landscape