In this video, Ask This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook tips on how to maintain a snow blower and keep it running through every storm.
1. For gas models, replace the engine oil when it gets dark by draining the old oil into a tray and taking to a recycling center. Install fresh oil and check the level with a dipstick.
2. Use high-octane fuel, and treat it with an ethanol fuel stabilizer. Or use ethanol-free fuel.
3. Check engine belts, and replace when worn.
4. Check spark plug, and replace when black.
5. Spray lubricant on all moving parts.
6. Keep extra shear pins on hand in case one breaks.