3 out of 5Moderate
In this video, Ask This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook tips on how to maintain a snow blower and keep it running through every storm.
Steps for Maintaining Your Snow Blower
- For gas models, replace the engine oil when it gets dark by draining the old oil into a tray and taking to a recycling center. Install fresh oil and check the level with a dipstick.
- Use high-octane fuel, and treat it with an ethanol fuel stabilizer. Or use ethanol-free fuel.
- Check engine belts, and replace when worn.
- Check spark plug, and replace when black.
- Spray lubricant on all moving parts.
- Keep extra shear pins on hand in case one breaks.