In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook explains how to deer-proof shrubs.
1. Fill nylon mesh bag with human hair and tie to branches of shrubs.
2. Drill hole through bar of deodorant soap and hang in shrubs.
3. Cover entire shrub with fine-mesh nylon netting.
4. Attach a motion-detector sprinkler head to a garden hose and place in front of shrubs; sprinkler will automatically spray deer with burst of water.
5. Fill pump sprayer with deer-deterrent chemical and spray onto leaves of shrubs; repeat every eight to 10 weeks.