United Van Lines is a nationwide moving company with services to support homeowners and business owners with various needs. This mover combines advanced online tools with personalized service to take the stress off of a person or family’s move. Also, customers can take advantage of item protection with each move.
Keep reading this United Van Lines review to learn about the company’s services, cost, availability, and more.
Our Review for United Van Lines
With its wide range of services across 150 countries, additional add-ons such as packing and unpacking, and auto transport, our This Old House Reviews Team has scored United Van Lines a 90 out of 100.
Pros & Cons of United Van Lines
In our review of United Van Lines, we identified the following pros and cons:
✔ Hundreds of locations around the nation and the ability to move to any state
✔ Online quoting and in-home evaluation for an accurate estimate
✔ Shipment tracking to receive updates about your move
✘ Inconsistent customer service ratings, as services are offered by third-party companies
✘ Higher prices than the competition
United Van Lines Services
United Van Lines provides local, long-distance, and international moves to over 150 countries worldwide. It supports homeowners and renters, but the company also provides corporate moving services. United offers full-value moving coverage on each move so you can feel more confident that your valuables will be taken care of and protected.
Main services include loading and unloading your belongings for your move. United’s team will get all of your belongings into the moving truck, drive them to your destination, then unload the items into your new home upon arrival. With this service, you can track your shipment online and access resources like a moving checklist.
Additional Paid Services
You can also purchase these additional services:
- Packing and Unpacking: Choose from full or partial service options depending on how much help you need. United can help you organize and unpack at your new place.
- Tech Breakdown and Installation: Service people can help you with in-home tech support like breaking down and setting up home theater equipment or personal computer networks.
- Storage: If your items cannot be immediately delivered to your new home, you can access short-term or long-term storage options.
- Cleaning and Debris Pickup: Service people will return after the delivery to remove containers or trash left behind.
- Auto Transport: United partners with local companies to offer automobile shipping if you need to move a car.
When you request a quote, make sure to ask about United Van Line’s valuation insurance. You can add on full-value moving protection to your move. United will calculate your coverage amount by multiplying your shipment weight by $6 per pound. Purchase extra coverage if you have higher-priced items that this amount may not cover.
United Van Lines has over 500 locations across the country, and the company claims that it can help you move anywhere in the United States. However, on the Locations page on its website, United does not list all 50 states.
United Van Lines has a location in every state except the following:
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
To find the location closest to you, explore the Locations page on the company’s website. You can search by state or zip code.
How Much Does United Van Lines Cost?
The cost for moving services from United Van Lines will vary based on your needs. Request an in-home estimate for the most accurate quote for your moving costs. You can do this on the company website by providing some information about your move, including the size and type of your original and new home, as well as listing some large items you’d like the team to move.
The final cost of your move with United Van Lines will depend on the following factors which will be discussed during your in-home estimate:
- The amount of belongings you’d like to move, measured in weight
- The distance of your move
- Your move date and time
- Add-on services like packing or cleaning
United Van Lines Booking Process
To learn more about its services and to get a quote from United Van Lines, you’ll need an in-home estimate. During this appointment, you can unlock the most accurate quote for your moving needs.
After you request your quote online, the company will schedule a survey of your home’s belongings. At this time, a customer service representative will work with you to confirm moving details, including the moving date and type of home. He or she will build a moving package to meet your needs and provide you with an estimate.
Leading up to your move, the United team will give you tips and support to finish planning your move and preparing for the big day.
United Van Lines Customer Reviews
The level of customer service a company holds is another crucial factor to keep in mind when searching for a moving professional. Online customer reviews can give you insight into what a company has to offer and what you can expect from its services.
On the Better Business Bureau, United Van Lines is not accredited but shows an A+ rating. However, they have a 1.25/5 rating with 16 customer reviews*.
It’s difficult to make a conclusion about the company’s level of customer service because United Van Lines offers some of its services through third-party retailers. For this reason, the names on customer service review listings may not be the company’s name, or they may include the business name and “Agent for United Van Lines.”
Here are some United Van Lines reviews:
“Excellent service from beginning to end. Always responded to my phone calls and emails. Customer service reassuring and responsive to my questions and concerns. Estimate was spot on. [Our service team was] professional in [their] responses and sincerely cared for my precious belongings. I highly recommend this team.”
“Do not hire this ripoff company! They damaged many items [in] my shipment and charged me as much as Mayflower. The brand new microwave was crushed; several pieces of furniture were scratched up. They jam everything together and tie it up so tight with ropes it gets damaged.”
*BBB information accurate as of Sept 20, 2021
Is United Van Lines Best for Your Move?
Our United Van Lines review concluded that this company may be an ideal option if you’re making a long-distance move and want to work with a company that offers comprehensive moving services. United provides additional services like professional cleaning and gives homeowners the added convenience of online shipment tracking.
However, it is difficult to draw a confident conclusion about the company’s level of customer service as it offers services through many third-party companies. Each of these will have their own review listings and ratings that vary by location.
After reviewing the best moving companies in the country, we recommend other companies above United Van Lines.
Frequently Asked Questions about United Van Lines
Other Moving Resources
We’ve done extensive research on the best moving companies across the country and have compiled easy to digest comparisons.
- Best Interstate Moving Companies
- Best Long Distance Moving Companies
- Best Moving Container Companies
- Best Cheap Moving Companies
- Best Moving Companies For Small Moves
- Best Moving Companies For Military Moves
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for moving service providers is on a 100-point scale based on 7 factors:
- Moving Services (30): Does the company offer its services for local, long-distance, and/or international moves?
- Additional Services (29): What additional services does the company provide, such as packing and unpacking or loading and unloading?
- Coverage (10): Does the company offer any additional insurance plans, such as full-value coverage?
- Scheduling (7): Are customers able to schedule online, over the phone, or on both platforms?
- Trailers/Containers (7): How many trailer or container sizes does the company offer?
- Additional Benefits (12): What additional benefits does the company provide, such as storage options, moving truck rentals, and financing?
- Reputation (5): What rating does the company feature on popular review sites like the Better Business Bureau (BBB)?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.