Whether you’re migrating to or from Phoenix, Arizona or relocating within the state, finding a reliable moving provider can ease the stress of your moving experience.
To help you find the best moving company in Arizona, the This Old House Reviews Team researched the top moving providers in the state and compared them on the services they offer, their availability, and what to expect with each company.
5 Top Moving Companies in Phoenix, Arizona
Through in-depth research, we determined that the best movers in Arizona are:
|Superlative||Star Rating||BBB Rating|
|International Van Lines||Best Full-Service Mover||B|
|American Van Lines||Most Experienced Mover||B-|
|Moving APT||Best Customer Service||B|
|JK Moving Services||Most Customizable||A+|
|North American Van Lines||Best for Claims||A+|
|Allied Van Lines||Best for Vehicle Relocation||A+|
|Safeway Moving Inc.||Most Customer-Oriented||-|
|First National Van Lines||Best for Responsiveness||A+|
|Coleman Worldwide Moving||Best for International Moves||A+|
International Van Lines
Our Rating: Best Overall Full-Service Mover
International Van Lines is a one-stop shop for nearly any household move. The company operates nationwide, accommodating both moves across state lines and locally. However, there’s a two-bedroom apartment minimum required for in-state moving support. International Van Lines also specializes in overseas relocations to more than 180 countries.
Pros and Cons
✔ Operates nationwide and in 180 countries internationally
✔ Transports specialty items like automobiles, pianos, and antiques
✔ Customer reviews mention above-average customer service
✘ Specializes in long-distance relocations with limited local move support
✘ Outsources some services to third-party contractors
✘ Requires a 25% deposit of the total cost of your move
The company stands out for its full-service model that handles almost every aspect of the moving cycle, including:
- Furniture disassembly and reassembly
- Packing, storage, and crating
- Transportation by air, sea, or road
- Liability coverage for long-distance moves
- Specialty services for transporting items like cars, artwork, and pianos
Customers can also create custom moving packages for partial-service or self-service moves.
Get a free quote from International Van Lines by filling out this simple online form.
Learn More: International Van Lines Review
American Van Lines
Our Rating: Most Experienced Moving Labor
With more than 25 years of experience in the moving industry, American Van Lines has one of the largest professional networks in the country. The company works exclusively with full-time, experienced moving professionals who can carry out almost any moving plan—from self-service moves to specialty services like handling fragile, difficult-to-move belongings.
American Van Lines can cater to your moving needs, whether you’re relocating within the state, to or from Arizona, or even internationally. The company’s services start with full-service support, including labor like packing, loading, transportation, unloading, and unpacking.
Pros and Cons
✔ Provides binding cost estimates
✔ Moving professionals have an average of 10 years of experience
✔ Can accommodate last-minute moves at no surcharge
✘ Requires a 10%–50% deposit for your reservation
✘ Isn’t available in Alaska or Hawaii
✘ Doesn’t provide auto relocation services
You can also tailor a more personalized plan, choosing from services like:
- Partial-service support, including furniture disassembly, transport, and reassembly
- Moving supply kits with custom boxes for items like mirrors and wardrobes
- Transport of specialty items like fine art, antiques, and pianos by trained, certified professionals
- Private, climate-controlled storage
To get a free quote based on your moving timeframe, distance, and necessary services, fill out this simple online form or call 1-877-960-3186.
Learn More: American Van Lines Review
JK Moving Services
Our Rating: Most Customizable Full-Service Mover
JK Moving specializes in relocation services for long-distance moves. While local transport is available in some states, JK Moving offers services to Arizona residents who are either moving into or out of the state.
The company’s full-service options are in line with industry standards, but JK Moving’s greatest value is in its flexibility, with service models that adapt to customers and their moving needs.
Each customer has a moving coordinator who designs a tailor-made plan, which can include:
- Packing and unpacking services, including disassembly, professional wrapping, and reassembly
- Partial packing of fragile or difficult-to-move items
- Moving kit selections for do-it-yourself moves
- Loading and unloading
- Climate-controlled storage facilities
- Specialty services with certified professionals for items like antiques, artwork, and pianos
- Insurance coverage
- Vehicle relocation for trucks, sedans, and SUVs
JK Moving customers also get access to a mobile app that provides GPS tracking for their shipments. Through this app, you can also contact your moving coordinator, make payments, and select upgrades like additional insurance coverage.
Contact a JK Moving representative at 1-571-487-8929 to design your personal moving plan and get a quote for the mix of services you need. You can also complete this online form to get a rough idea of what costs to expect.
Learn More: JK Moving Review
Our Rating: Best Overall Self-Service Mover
Self-service moving is a great option for people who don’t need—or want to pay for—white-glove moving support but could use an extra hand when moving day arrives. With its mobile shipping containers, 1-800-PACK-RAT is a leader in simplifying self-service moves in 30 states, including Arizona.
The company provides 30-day container rentals so you can pack and load your household items at your own pace. Once you’ve scheduled your moving date, 1-800-PACK-RAT simply collects the container and ships it to your new home. There are three different container sizes to choose from, each with a weatherproof, steel-frame body that ensures heavy-duty protection for your belongings throughout the moving process.
Pros and Cons
✔ Offers discounts and price-matching on request
✔ Provides an online tool for scheduling, making payments, and changing reservations
✔ Offers multiple, all-steel container sizes
✘ No online booking available
✘ Not available nationwide; only provides services within 100 miles of its physical locations
✘ Fees vary based on your distance from a local branch
While 1-800-PACK-RAT specializes in this self-service model, there are several other add-on options available to make moving even easier, including:
- Monthly container reservation extensions
- Packing, loading, unloading, and unpacking support through its partner contractors
- Secure, climate-controlled storage services for both short- and long-term timeframes
- Moving and packing supply kits
- Insurance coverage protection plans
- Relocation of vehicles, including cars, recreational vehicles, and boats
Get a free quote from 1-800-PACK-RAT by filling out this simple online form.
Learn More: 1-800-PACK-RAT Review
PODS Moving & Storage
Our Rating: Most Convenient
This nationwide portable on-demand storage solution offers customers a flexible way to move. The company also facilitates international moves to locations like Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom. PODS delivers its container unit to your home, where the container can stay for as long as you need. This means you can take your time packing and loading your belongings. When you’re ready to move, a driver will collect your container and move it either straight to your new home or to a PODS storage center for safekeeping.
Pros and Cons
✔ Is great for customers who want to move at their own pace
✔ Its pricing structure is predictable and transparent
✔ Reservations can be easily extended, with long-term storage options also available
✘ Isn’t available in all 50 states
✘ Partial- and full-service support options are outsourced to third-party contractors
✘ Often requires booking several months in advance
This base service builds convenience into your moving plan where you need it most. Still, PODS gives movers even more flexibility with its add-on services, such as:
- Budget-friendly 30-day rental extensions
- Three container sizes
- Moving supply kits
- Local referrals to partner packing, loading, unpacking, and unloading services
- Several levels of insurance coverage options
- Long-term storage
Learn More: PODS Review
Which is the Best Arizona Moving Company for You?
With its year-round sunshine and affordable cost of living, Arizona attracts residents from all over the country each year. In the past decade, the Grand Canyon State’s population increased by almost 14%, and reports predict the area’s popularity will only continue to grow.
Recent studies show that six out of 10 people say moving to a new home was among their most stressful life events. From packing fragile items to fitting furniture through narrow spaces, almost all survey respondents agreed that the support of professionals was an essential part of a smooth move.
Whether you need an extra hand for a DIY move or are looking for a comprehensive, full-service relocation, there are several industry leaders serving Phoenix, Arizona that can accommodate your plan.
Comparing the Top Movers in Phoenix, AZ
To build the best plan for moving in, out, or within Arizona, make sure to contact multiple providers to get personalized quotes and to ensure their services can meet your needs.
|International Van Lines||Best Full-Service Mover|
|American Van Lines||Most Experienced Mover|
|Moving APT||Best Customer Service|
|JK Moving Services||Most Customizable|
|Allied Van Lines||Best for Vehicle Relocation|
|North American Van Lines||Best for Claims|
|1-800-PACK-RAT||Best Self-Service Mover|
Other Considerations When Moving in Arizona
Whether you’re moving to Arizona or making a move within the state, there are other home services that may be beneficial to you. For example, pest control services and lawn care providers can help you maintain your home, while homeowners insurance can protect the structure of your home and your belongings if they are damaged in a fire or other catastrophic event.
Here’s a full list of resources for Arizona residents:
- Best Home Warranty Companies in Arizona
- Best Pet Insurance in Arizona
- Best Lawn Care Services
- Best Renters Insurance Companies in Arizona
- Top Real Estate Agents in Phoenix
- Best Pest Control Companies
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for moving service providers is on a 100-point scale based on seven factors:
- Moving Services (30): Does the company offer its services for local, long-distance, and or international moves?
- Additional Services (29): What additional services does the company provide, such as packing and unpacking or loading and unloading?
- Coverage (10): Does the company offer any additional insurance plans, such as full-value coverage?
- Scheduling (7): Are customers able to schedule online, over the phone, or on both platforms?
- Trailers/containers (7): How many trailer or container sizes does the company offer?
- Additional Benefits (12): What additional benefits does the company provide, such as storage options, moving truck rentals, and financing?
- Reputation (5): What rating does the company feature on popular review sites like the Better Business Bureau (BBB)?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.