Sometimes, packing up and moving yourself or your family can be a difficult task to take on alone. Planning a move involves a long list of steps, from planning the logistics to securely packaging your belongings and loading them onto a truck that’s reliable for a long trip.
That’s why many homeowners and renters work with professional moving companies like Bellhop Moving. These experts can pack, load, and transport your belongings—easing a little stress of planning a move.
Keep reading this Bellhop moving review to learn about the company’s offerings, prices, and more to determine whether it’s right for you.
To find the best moving company for your household’s needs, it’s a good idea to compare a few providers on cost, availability, service offerings, and customer service. The This Old House Reviews Team has done this research for the top moving companies in America.
Our Take on Bellhop
Bellhop is a relatively new moving company that was founded in 2011. Its current headquarters is located in Chattanooga, Tennessee, where its team provides packing and moving services to many states around the country.
The company promises to help make your move stress-free and easy, and its team is dedicated to providing its customers with quality service. However, some customer reviews noted having a poor experience with the movers.
Bellhop Pros & Cons
In our review of Bellhop, we found the following pros and cons of the moving company:
Pros & Cons
|Offers customizable packages to meet your home’s needs||Only has locations in 26 states around the country|
|Advanced online tools to help you get a quote and manage your move||Cannot move heavy and specialty items like pianos|
|Reviews mention poor customer service|
Bellhop Moving Services
Bellhop provides custom moving plans to meet your needs. You get to choose the level of help you want, from simple loading and unloading to a full-service cross-country relocation. Check out some details of the company’s service offerings:
- Hourly labor: Bellhop offers simple in-home services for smaller projects. This is an ideal choice if you just need help loading and unloading items, rearranging furniture, staging a home, or even setting up for an event.
- Packing services: To get you ready for an upcoming move, Bellhop will ship the proper packing supplies (bubble wrap, boxes, rolls of tape) to your home. Then, a team of workers will come to your home to safely pack your items to prepare for moving day. The website states that they can get the job done in a few hours.
- Local moving: For moves within the state or same city, Bellhop will match you with a local mover. These third-party agents can help transport your items and furniture across town.
- Long-distance moving: Bellhop’s main services focus on relocations across the country. Its online customer dashboard provides homeowners with accurate arrival times for their delivery—as opposed to a service window. From the time you book your move, you will be assigned a dedicated Move Manager to help you through the process of relocating.
- Bellhop’s Build-Your-Own Service allows you to pick and choose which types of packing and moving services you need. Using the online dashboard, you can change the number of movers you need, labor hours you reserve, and more.
Bellhop has locations in 26 states and Washington, D.C., where it offers packing and moving services. The company also provides driving and delivery services nationwide.
You can find a Bellhop location in the following states:
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
For a full list of the cities within each of these states, visit the Locations page on the Bellhop website.
How Much Does Bellhop Cost?
Cost is an important factor to compare when you’re looking to hire a moving company. However, the price of services from Bellhop will vary by customer. That’s because it offers such customizable services to choose what you need.
The company states that it offers transparent pricing and no hidden fees, but there are no sample prices listed on the site. The cost of moving services from Bellhop will be determined by:
- The distance of your move
- How many items you’re moving
- Whether you purchase additional services like packing
- Insurance coverage
To get the most accurate quote, visit the company’s website to build a moving package customized to fit your budget.
How do you book an upcoming move with Bellhop? The first thing you need to do is request a quote from the company, which you can do online or over the phone. With Bellhop’s advanced digital tools, there’s no need for an in-home estimate. You can manage the moving process online via the company’s customer dashboard.
After providing some important information about your move, your consultant can provide you with an estimate for services. When you book a long-distance move, the company will give you a guaranteed quote to ensure your price won’t change.
From the moment you reserve your moving date with the company, Bellhop’s team will support you with tips and updates to prepare for your move. On the day of the move, your moving team will notify you that they’re on the way. Then, they’ll conduct a walkthrough of the house to make note of your home’s inventory and any special instructions on how to handle your belongings.
Bellhop Moving Reviews
When you’re hiring a moving company to pack and load your belongings, it’s a good idea to research its customer service ratings. These can tell you about a company’s reputation and how they’ve treated homeowners in the past.
Bellhop is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), where it has a B- rating and 15 customer reviews. Like with most companies, there are both positive and negative Bellhop moving reviews on the BBB.*
On Trustpilot, they boast a 4.2 star rating with more than 2,600 reviews.*
- Negatives: Some negative reviews called out poor customer service, while happy customers noted that Bellhop’s team was friendly and courteous.
- Positives: Many said that its movers made the process easy through every step.
Here is what some customers had to say:
Erika via Trustpilot said:
“We had to do multiple moves over a couple years and used Bellhops 3 times. Every move was as simple and easy as moving could be. Loading and unloading was efficient, and they met the promised schedule almost to the minute. I would recommend Bellhops to anyone looking to do a short or long move.”
Lori Moo via BBB said:
“We moved two weeks ago and the company made move day a breeze! They put things where we asked them to. They worked quickly and solved a problem with a large oak desk that would not fit through the hallway. They lifted the desk above a fence to take it through a larger door. Thank you, Bellhop!”
*Data accurate as of Sept 16, 2021.
Our Bellhop moving review concluded that the company is a solid option for homeowners and renters nationwide. Its online booking process provides ease and convenience to the customer as well as support leading up to move day.
If you live in one of the 26 states where Bellhop’s packing and moving services are available, we recommend getting a free quote from the company so you can determine if its pricing fits within your budget.
We’ve done extensive research on the best moving companies across the country and have compiled easy to digest comparisons.
- Best Interstate Moving Companies
- Best Long Distance Moving Companies
- Best Moving Companies
- Best Moving Container Companies
- Best Cheap Moving Companies
- Best Moving Companies for Small Moves
- Best Moving Companies for Military Moves
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pack my belongings?
Yes, Bellhop allows you to customize your moving package with only the services you need. So, you can pack your items and prepare for your move on your own. The company encourages its customers to have their belongings packed and ready for loading onto the truck before the movers arrive.
Is there anything that Bellhop cannot move?
On its website, Bellhop lists a few items that its team cannot load onto its trucks. These prohibited items include belongings that weigh more than 300 pounds, perishable items, weapons, explosives, and other flammable objects.
Does Bellhop provide insurance to protect my belongings?
Yes, you can purchase moving insurance from the company up until the day of your move. This insurance covers standard items and furniture, and it may not cover antiques. To learn more about what this coverage protects and how to choose the right package for your belongings, ask about insurance during the quoting process.
Can I help on moving day?
Bellhop does not allow customers to help on moving day. This includes getting on the ramp and into the truck or participating in the moving process in any way. This protects the company because they are not liable for any incidents. This policy also allows you to take a break and relax.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.