In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey cleans up some drinking-water problems.
- Remove aerator and rubber washer from sink faucet.
- Sterilize end of faucet with rubbing alcohol or propane lighter.
- Collect water sample and bring to local water-testing lab for analysis.
- Install a whole-house filtration system to remove sand and sediment from water. Replace sediment filter at least twice a year.
- Treat excessively hard water with a water softener. Replace salt in the storage tank, as needed.