Tools & Materials
In this video, Ask This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey explains what may be causing a leaky toilet and possible solutions.
- To diagnose a leak, check out a few places on the toilet.
- First check out the water supply line. It’s possible there could be a loose nut or a leak on the supply hose.
- Next check the line between the tank and the bowl. Bolts may be loose, causing the leak to appear just below the tank.
- If the leak is most prominent on the floor around the toilet (or on the ceiling below), check the wax ring seal between the toilet and the flange.
- If the height of the flange is too low, you may have to get a higher wax ring to compensate.
- Alternatives to the wax ring are a foam seal or a plastic seal.
- Other options for raising the flange: Adding flange spacers or adding a flange insert.