Tools & Materials
In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey installs a heat pump water heater.
1. Shut off the electricity and water leading to the old water heater.
2. Drain the water from the old water heater.
3. Disconnect and remove the old water heater.
4. Install new shut-off valves to the hot- and cold-water pipes.
5. Set new heater into place directly beneath the water-supply lines.
6. Remove vacuum breakers and solder on the appropriate copper fittings.
7. Connect new water heater to shut-off valves on the hot and cold water-supply pipes.
8. Turn the water back on to fill the tank.
9. Connect the existing electrical cable to the new heater.
10. Run the heater’s condensate line to a condensate pump.
11. Connect condensate pump to laundry drain using flexible plastic tubing.
12. Turn the electricity back on.
13. Install the heater’s air filter.
14. Adjust water temperature at the heater’s electronic control panel.