5 out of 5Hardbest to leave this installation to an experienced plumbing and heating expert
$950 to $1,150, depending on heater model, plus $300 to $400 for installation
3 to 4 hours
How to install a propane tankless water heater
- Turn off the main water valve at the meter.
- Cut into the existing water–supply pipes attached to the old water heater.
- Remove the old water heater and mount the new tankless heater to the wall.
- Run threaded iron pipe from the outdoor propane tank to the heater; tighten all connections with a pipe wrench.
- Use a union fitting to connect the threaded gas pipe to the heater.
- Run copper pipe from the existing water-supply line to the heater. Solder all copper connections.
- Open the main water valve, and check your work for leaks.
- Turn on the propane and plug the heater into a nearby electrical outlet.
- Set water temperature to 120 degrees F at the heater’s control panel.