In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey explains how to work with PVC pipes.
Tips for Working with PVC Pipes:
- Cut PVC pipe with handsaw, then deburr the inside of pipe to remove any roughness.
- Dry-assemble the pipe and fittings.
- Use felt-tip marker to draw positioning lines across pipe and fittings.
- Clean pipe end and inside of fitting with PVC primer.
- Apply PVC cement to pipe end and inside of fitting.
- Immediately assemble the glued part, making sure the positioning marks are aligned.
- Hold the assembly together for three seconds.