In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey and water-quality specialist Doug Oberhamer show how to soften mineral-rich hard water. Learn more about how much a water softener system costs.
Steps for Installing a Water Softener
- Dig a trench from the water main to the garage.
- Use a drill to bore two 1-inch-diameter holes through the garage wall.
- Clean and de-burr the ends of the copper water-supply pipes.
- Buff clean the pipe ends with emery cloth.
- Solder together the copper water-supply pipe and fittings. Run two pipes from the water main to water softener inside the garage.
- Make the pipe connections at the water main and at the water softener.
- Attach a discharge pipe to the water softener and end it at a nearby utility sink or floor drain that’s connected to a sewer line.
- Fill the storage tank with water-softener salt, and then check the salt level at least once a month.