- Shut the water off to the house.
- Pull the handle off the shutoff valve using the screwdriver.
- Loosen the gland nut behind the handle using the wrench.
- Unscrew and remove the valve.
- Screw in the new valve from the repair kit.
- Tighten the gland nut back over the new valve with the wrench.
- Put the handle back on with the screwdriver.
- Turn the water back on.
Richard repaired the stem on the kitchen faucet shutoff valve using a multi-turn valve stem repair kit, manufactured by BrassCraft.
Everything else he used to repair the shutoff valve, including the wrench and the screwdriver, can be purchased at home centers and plumbing supply stores.