In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey explains how to install a drip-irrigation system.
- Dig series of trenches across yard to minimum of 4 inches deep; space the trenches about 12 inches apart.
- Run PVC pipe from water supply to trench.
- Fabricate two manifolds out of PVC pipes and fittings.
- Set the manifolds in trenches at opposite ends of yard.
- Attach one manifold to the water-supply line.
- Run series of polyethylene drip lines back and forth in across yard between the two mainfolds.
- Attach the drip lines to the manifolds.
- Test system for leaky fittings and to ensure the emitters are slowly dripping water.
- Backfill the trenches and plant grass seed or lay sod.
You may want to rent a trencher to cut down on digging labor.