In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook transforms an old, ugly city slab into an urban oasis.
Steps for upgrading a concrete patio:
- Clear the patio of all furniture, accessories and plantings.
- Pull out all weeds and grass, then sweep the patio clean.
- Snap a straight chalk line across the patio.
- Lay the first wooden deck tile right on the chalk line and against the perimeter wall.
- Rotate the next deck tile perpendicular to the first one and snap the two tiles together.
- Continue installing deck tiles, perpendicular to each other to create a basket-weave pattern.
- When it's necessary to cut a deck tile to fit, use a utility knife to slice through the plastic base on the underside of the tile. Snap the cut tile into place on the patio.
- To trim a deck tile that runs perpendicular to the basket-weave pattern, cut the tile using a circular saw.
- Continue to slice and saw deck tiles to fit around the perimeter of the patio.
- Install reducer molding along edge of deck.
- Position potted bamboo plants along outer edge of patio to provide a modicum of privacy.
- Screw window boxes to the exterior perimeter wall to hold flowering plants.
- Rearrange the furniture back onto the patio.