In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook explains how to lay a bluestone patio.
1. Spread several inches of pack material across patio area.
2. Rake the pack material smooth, then tamp with a plate compactor.
3. Mix seven parts stone dust with one part Portland cement; add just enough water to hydrate the mixture.
4. Spread enough cement mixture to set three or four stones.
5. Set stones onto the 4-inch-thick cement setting base and tap them down with rubber mallet.
6. Continue spreading the cement setting base and setting stones, making sure to slope the patio away from the house.