In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook explains how to repair a leaky sprinkler system.
Steps for How to Repair a Sprinkler System
- Shut off the water to the sprinkler system.
- Remove lid from valve box and clean out mud from inside of box with hand trowel.
- Pack valve box with dry rags to absorb water.
- Twist out the low-voltage solenoid valve, then wait for excess water to drain out.
- Unscrew the bonnet from the top of the valve using a Phillips screwdriver.
- Remove the spring and diaphragm gasket from under the bonnet.
- Install a new valve diaphragm onto the valve.
- Set spring on diaphragm, place bonnet on top.
- Put steel ring on top of bonnet, then screw down the bonnet, alternately tightening the screws.
- Replace the solenoid, and make the wire connections with waterproof wire connectors.
- Pull rags from valve box and fill box with clean stone.
- Turn on the water to the sprinkler system and check for leaks.