In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook explains how to seed a new lawn.
1. Remove all grass from yard with a gas-powered sod cutter.
2. Loosen up the topsoil with a tiller.
3. Spread 1 inch of compost over the area, then till it into the soil.
4. Rake the soil smooth, making sure to fill low spots and removing high spots.
5. Use a drop spreader to apply coating of pulverized lime.
6. Add 12-25-12 starter fertilizer using a drop spreader.
7. Work lime and fertilizer into the soil with a rake.
8. Hand-broadcast an even layer of grass over the entire area.
9. Use leaf rake to lightly work seed into the soil.
10. Water lightly early each morning and again at noon.
See products and services from this episode