- Aerate the lawn using a core aerator. Make passes up and down the lawn and then do perpendicular passes.
- Sprinkle roughly ½” of compost on top of the lawn. Use the back of the rake to work the compost down into the holes made by the aerator.
- Put the fertilizer in the spreader and apply it to the lawn.
- Put grass seed in the spreader and apply it to the lawn. Use the back of the rake to work it in.
- Give everything a good watering.
Roger used a core aerator to add small holes to the lawn. It can be rented at The Home Depot.
Roger then applied compost, which is available at The Home Depot.
Roger applied Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass, which is a fertilizer high in phosphorous to promote root growth. He then spread Turf Builder Grass Seed Sun and Shade Mix, which is coated to help lock in moisture.
All the other tools for this project, including a broadcast spreader and lawn rake, are available at The Home Depot. Hit the button below to shop!