Based out of Fort Washington, Maryland, Denison Landscaping is a family-driven landscape architecture business that offers full-service landscape and hardscape design services.
In this review, we compared Denison Landscaping services, customer reviews, awards, and pricing to other landscaping companies and lawn care services to help you determine if it’s the best company for you.
Pros & Cons of Denison Landscaping
✔ Extensive hardscape and landscape design experience
✔ Family-run company with a focus on customer care
✔ Highly awarded and regarded in its service region
✘ Does not offer standard lawn, tree, and shrub treatment services
✘ Only serves Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, and Washington D.C.
Overall, TruGreen is our top recommendation for your lawn care needs. Between TruGreen’s extensive offerings of five annual lawn care programs, a variety of a la carte services, and its availability in 49 states, the company is a leader in the lawn care industry.
Denison Landscaping Plans and Services
Unlike traditional lawn care and weed control companies, Denison Landscaping focuses on the design of your outdoor living space. The company offers full-service design services and builds projects for landscapes, hardscapes, irrigation systems, outdoor lighting, and repair work.
Denison Landscaping advertises full-service landscape design services for those looking to re-envision their outdoor living space. Within their landscape division, specialists help customers see the big picture, which could look like balancing out soft elements such as gardens and lush lawns with hardscape features like porches and patios.
Denison ensures that the collaboration process is personalized to each project, allowing an open door of communication throughout the design stages.
Landscape designs have included grading, planting, seeding, sod installation, drainage, reforestation, and seasonal enhancements.
Included in its landscaping services are ample commercial landscape architecture offers, as well as warranty and repair work both with Denison or building partners.
Though the landscape work goes hand-in-hand with hardscapes, the majority of Denison projects feature complex designs that have changed the structure of an outdoor area.
A few examples of hardscape projects that Denison Landscaping has tackled include outdoor kitchens, firepits, outdoor fireplaces, pavers, walkways, patios, fences, retaining walls, porches, stairways, poolscapes, outdoor dining areas, driveways, and lighting and outdoor sounds systems.
Denison Landscaping offers the installation and management of both new and old irrigation systems. Specialists from the company can analyze your lawn’s irrigation needs and make recommendations to either alter or install a new system based on your budget.
Denison Landscaping offers three irrigation contract plans that range from $250 to $475 per year. Denison is also an EPA WaterSense partner for its attention to water sustainability and eco-friendly runoff regulations.
Denison Landscaping Locations
Though Denison is a popular landscape design company in the Mid-Atlantic region, it only services a few locations. The company is headquartered in Fort Washington, Maryland, and has satellite locations in the following cities:
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Delmar, Delaware
- Milton, Delaware
The company services a large part of the Mid-Atlantic region, including a perimeter around Delaware, Maryland, parts of Virginia, West Virginia, Washington, D.C., and southwestern Pennsylvania.
Denison Landscaping Reviews
Denison Landscaping isn’t accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but it has an A+ rating with the BBB. Below are two reviews from the company’s Yelp page.
“[The architect] was an incredible project manager from start to finish. He was such a pleasure to work with! He was extremely responsive, thorough, and patient despite my constant questions. The epitome of great customer service!” — Felicia B. via Yelp
“[Our project coordinator] said that if I ever have problems, I can always call them and they’ll come out. They do so but begrudgingly. They will hem and haw.” — W.W. via Yelp
Denison Landscaping vs. Competitors
Although Denison Landscaping offers extensive landscaping services and has a responsive customer service team, it doesn’t offer general lawn care services, isn’t available in a majority of states, and doesn’t offer additional benefits like pest control. We recommend TruGreen and Weed Man if you’re looking for those solutions.
Top-Rated Lawn Care Alternatives
|Company Breakdown||Denison Landscaping||TruGreen||Weed Man|
|Company Breakdown||Denison Landscaping||TruGreen||Weed Man|
|Lawn Care Programs||N/A||5 + a la carte services||1 + a la carte services|
|2018 Revenue*||$62 million||$1.37 billion||$171.8 million|
|Number of Employees*||640||13,504||N/A|
*Lawn & Landscape, Top 100 Issue, 2019
If you’re on the hunt for a company to take care of pest and weed issues, you may need a more general lawn care company to take on these challenges.
We recommend TruGreen as your go-to experts on year-round lawn care. It’s an ideal pick if you want to elevate or heal your current lawn and landscape, as well as seek advice about regional plants that will improve your home’s curb appeal. The company has locations across the U.S. but provides a personalized experience for all customers.
Frequently Asked Questions About Denison Landscaping
When is the best time of the year to call for a Denison estimate?
It’s recommended that you call in the winter, as Denison Landscaping’s residential design and build department works a tight schedule during most of the warmer months. Calling and meeting in the winter can help secure a time within the next year for a project to take place.
Is there a minimum job cost requirement?
Yes, but it depends on where you live. For example, if you live outside the Fort Washington area, there’s a $500 job cost minimum.
Do I need a permit for landscape design work?
You may need a permit depending on your location. For example, areas within Prince George, Fairfax, and Howard counties in the Washington, D.C. area have strict permitting laws and regulations.
- Company name: Denison Landscaping, Inc.
- Company type: Private
- CEO: Duane Denison, President
- Year founded: 1973
- Headquarters: 8911 Oxon Hill Road, Ft. Washington, MD 20744
- State availability: 5
- BBB rating: A+
Our Rating Methodology
To provide readers with the most objective, accurate, and detailed recommendations, the This Old House Reviews Team continually researches lawn care service companies on the market. We take the following steps to obtain up-to-date information about the industry and each company we review:
- Analyze more than 100 customer reviews from third-party review sites, such as Yelp, the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and Google Reviews, for each company
- Secret-shop for lawn care plans and packages to get a sense of cost, offered services, and the overall shopping experience for prospective customers
- Speak with representatives on the phone to simulate the customer service experience from each provider
- Update information on a regular basis to ensure the most accurate information when plans or services change with each company
We use the data from our research to build an in-depth rating system that allows us to score lawn care providers on a 100-point scale. Here are the factors in our evaluation and their designated scores:
- Plan options (30): As one of the most important factors for homeowners shopping for a lawn care service, this one is weighted heavily based on each company’s lawn coverage. Companies that offer more options, such as irrigation, weed control, seeding, and aeration services in addition to a general plan, score higher than others.
- Trustworthiness (30): Each company’s reputation is another significant factor for homeowners to consider before signing up for a plan. We scored providers based on their BBB score, accreditation, and offered guarantees available with each purchase.
- Additional Benefits (20): We gave extra points to companies that provide a few additional services and benefits with their offered plans, such as organic treatments, pest control services, and a mobile app for digital communication and plan management.
- Customer Service (10): In this rating category, we awarded points to customer-focused lawn care service providers who offer weekend availability and easy communication through phones, online chats, and online resources.
- Availability (10): We also scored companies based on their overall availability, rewarding those that are nationally available over local companies only operating in select cities or ZIP codes.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.