How to Stock Up for Severe Weather
This Old House host Kevin O'Connor and Jim Cantore of The Weather Channel discuss how to prepare for the next big storm
In this video, This Old House host Kevin O'Connor and Jim Cantore of The Weather Channel discuss how to prepare for the next big storm.
1. Keep a water supply of one gallon per day per person for three days.
2. Have a three-day supply of canned goods, and don't forget to pack a can opener.
3. Pack several fresh batteries, flashlights, and lanterns.
4. Get a hand-crank flashlight that can also recharge cell phones.
5. Place important documents and phone numbers in a waterproof case.
6. Choose a meeting place in case family members get separated.
7. Portable gas-powered generators must be placed outdoors; never run one in an enclosed space. Be sure to have gasoline on hand.
8. Use a chain and padlock to secure the generator to a tree or other unmovable object.