How to Prevent Holiday Fires
Ask This Old House host Kevin O’Connor travels to UL Laboratories to learn about preventing fires from holiday decorations
- Always blow out candles when you leave the room.
- If a decorative candle starts a fire, there may be time to put it out with a fire extinguisher. If the room catches fire, get out and call 911.
- If you have a real Christmas tree, keep it watered and away from heat sources. It will only last for about 4 weeks and needs to be removed after that.
- Before purchasing an artificial tree, check to see if it’s been UL tested to withstand fire. Keep it away from heat sources.
- If your Christmas tree catches fire, do not attempt to put it out. Get out immediately and call 911.
The UL-rated artificial tree Kevin saw can be found at most department stores.
Expert assistance for this segment was provided by UL Laboratories.