How to Flush a Water Heater
In this how-to video, This Old House plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey shows a quick and effective way to drain a sediment-filled water heater
In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey explains how to flush a water heater.
1. Turn off electricity and water to the water heater; allow heater to cool.
2. Drain water from the heater's tank using a garden hose and pump.
3. Catch drained water in a bucket for inspection.
4. If water is filled with sediment, refill heater and drain again.
5. Continue to fill and drain heater as often as necessary until the water runs clear.
6. Disconnect the hose and pump.
7. Turn on the electricity and water to the water heater.