This lovely porch sign can be decorated on both sides to celebrate more than one holiday or season. I’m also adding a hook for a hoop wreath on each side to make it easy to transform as the seasons change.
Read the step-by-step instructions below and scroll down for a list of tools, materials, and cut list needed for the project.
Steps for Making a DIY Reversible Porch Sign
1. Size the Frame Pieces
Starting with the 1×12 board at its full 6-foot height, measure and miter the 1×2 frame pieces on edge so that they wrap around the corners of the board.
2. Apply the Finishes
- Using a foam roller, cover one side of the board with two coats of white paint, and the other side with two coats of black paint.
- Finish the letters with two coats of a contrasting paint color starting with their edges, and then working across the flat sections.
- Lastly, coat the 1 x 2 frame pieces with stain followed by a protective coat of polyurethane.
3. Add the Letters
- Measure and mark the location of each letter on one side of the board, leaving a gap for the “O” where the wreath will hang.
- Apply glue to the backside of each letter and then nail it into place with 5/8″ nails.
- Fill and touchup the nail holes as needed.
- Repeat to attach the letters to the opposite side of the sign.
4. Attach the Frame Pieces
- Apply glue to one edge of the board. Place the coordinating frame piece centered on the thickness of the 1 x 12 board so that it overhangs its face equally on each side.
- Nail through the frame and into the edge of the board with 1 ¼-inch nails to secure the board in place.
- Apply glue to an adjacent edge and to the exposed miter, and secure the next piece.
- Repeat to attach the remaining frame pieces.
5. Install the Cup Hooks
- Drill a small pilot hole for the cup hook centered on the width of each side.
- Twist a cup hook into each pilot hole.
6. Add a Wreath
Purchase a wreath at the store or make your own like I did using an inexpensive embroidery hoop and a sprig of faux stems or branches. RELATED: How to Make an Embroidery Hoop Wreath
- 1 x 12 x 6′ Board
- (2) 1 x 2 x 8′ Boards
- (2) Cup Hooks
- 5/8-inch nails to secure the letters
- 1 ¼-inch nails to secure the frame boards
- Craft Letters
- Paint or Stain
- Small Paint Roller
- 1 x 2 Frame – 2 @ 73 ½” (mitered on edge at 45-degrees)
- 1 x 2 Frame – 2 @ 12 ¾” (mitered on edge at 45-degrees)