As a homeowner, one of your top priorities is ensuring that your family is safe and protected when they’re at home. Break-ins, robberies, and theft can quickly sacrifice your sense of peace of mind and safety, but a home security system can help you sleep easier at night.
If you’ve been shopping for a professional security monitoring system, you might be considering Brinks Home Security for your needs. Brinks Home Security has been awarded the J.D. Power #1 in Customer Satisfaction with Pro-Installed Home Security Systems title for two years in a row. With flexible pricing and installation options, a system from Brinks Home Security is both affordable and secure. Read on to learn if this security provider is the best home security system for you.
Our Take on Brinks Home Security
We rated Brinks Home Security a 9.2 out of 10. It has multiple pricing options for security packages. However, not all packages include video surveillance and customer complaints reveal that it’s extremely difficult to cancel your plan.
Pros and Cons of Brinks Home Security
✔ DIY and professional installation available
✔ 30-day risk-free trial period
✔ All packages come with mobile app access
✘ Video monitoring not included in all packages
✘ Installation payments not available for all security system hardware
Brinks Home Security Packages & Equipment
Brinks Home Security offers four distinct home security packages: Nest Secure, Smart Security Essential, Smart Security Complete, and Smart Security Ultimate.
- “Nest Secure” Package: The Nest Secure system is Brinks Home Security’s most basic offering. It includes a Nest security home device, two motion sensors, and two tags used to conveniently disarm the system without a code. You also have the option to add indoor video monitoring and streaming at an additional cost.
- “Smart Security Essential” Package: The Smart Security Essential is similar to the Nest Secure system. It includes a control panel, one wireless motion sensor, and two motion detectors. Unlike the Nest Secure system, you cannot add video surveillance to the Smart Security Essential package.
- “Smart Security Complete” Package: The Smart Security Complete package includes everything in the Essential package, plus one extra wireless motion sensor and one indoor camera with night vision. The Smart Security Complete package also includes live video streaming and monitoring, which you can access and control in the app.
- “Smart Security Ultimate” Package: The Smart Security Ultimate package is Brinks Home Security’s most comprehensive home security system. It includes one home control panel, one video doorbell camera, two wireless motion sensors, three wireless door sensors, one outdoor camera, and free professional installation.
*Note: Only the Smart Security Ultimate package includes professional installation. If you purchase a lower level package, you can add on professional installation for an additional $199.00 fee.
Brinks Home Security Package Comparison
|Feature||"Nest Secure"||"Smart Security Essential"||"Smart Security Complete"||"Smart Security Ultimate"|
|Mobile App Access||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|30 Money-Back Guarantee||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Video Surveillance||Upgrade Available||✗||✔||✔|
|Video Streaming||Upgrade Available||✗||✔||✔|
|Professional Installation||✗||$199 fee||$199 fee||✔|
Brinks Home Optional Add-Ons
You can add a few different security add-ons depending on the package you choose. Here are just a few available add-ons you can include with your plan:
- Additional door/motion sensors
- Smoke detectors
- Glass break detectors
- Additional indoor and outdoor security cameras
- Additional keychain fobs to arm and disarm your system
- Video doorbells
Compatible add-ons may vary depending on the plan you choose. You’ll be able to browse available add-ons when you purchase your home security system package online.
Brinks Home Security Pricing
Here’s a pricing breakdown for each Brinks Home Security system.
Package Pricing Comparison
|Metric||"Nest Secure"||"Smart Security Essential"||"Smart Security Complete"||"Smart Security Ultimate"|
|Monthly Monitoring Cost||$29/month||$39/month||$39/month||$39/month|
|Payable in Installments?||✔||✗||✗||✔|
Note: Optional add-ons may increase your final cost.
Brinks Home Security Customer Service
You can get in contact with Brinks Home Security’s customer service team using two different methods: text or phone.
- Text—To contact customer service by text, send a message to 469-513-8685. Text customer service is available from 8am to 8pm CST, seven days a week. Standard data and messaging rates apply.
- Phone—To contact customer service by phone, call 800-447-9239. Phone customer service is available from 7am to 8pm CST, seven days a week.
All Brinks Home Security systems come with a standard two-year warranty.
Brinks Home Security Reviews
Like most companies, Brinks Home Security has both positive and negative reviews on third-party websites.
Brinks Home Security doesn’t have a BBB rating. It’s worth noting that the company has a BBB alert for a pattern of complaints related to difficulty canceling a contract, poor customer service, delayed repairs to monitoring equipment, and billing concerns.
Some reviewers who left BBB reviews praised the company’s responsive customer service team and overall friendliness of the staff.
“From day one, this company has been accessible and helpful. The sales staff has been very forthcoming with information and suggestions. The service they provide is better than and less costly than the previous companies that have provided me home security.” —Katherine K. on 5/14/2018
A few negative Brinks Home Security reviews left on the Better Business Bureau criticized the company for its strict cancellation policies and aggressive marketing tactics.
“Do NOT sign up with this company; they make it [so] hard to cancel your account. They will charge you for the remaining balance plus cancellation fee. They will put you on hold for at [least] 5 times. They will do an ‘exit interview’…[where] they will keep asking you the same questions a thousand times. I’m currently on the phone right now for 40 mins, after speaking with 4 different people trying to cancel.” —Janyce C. on 8/8/2017
Brinks Home Security vs. Competitors
If you’re not sure whether Brinks Home Security is right for you, compare these top-rated home security companies.
Top-Rated Alternatives to Brinks Home Security
|Get a free quote||View Plans||View Plans||View Plans|
|Smart home compatibility||✔||✔||✔|
|Mobile app access||✔||✔||✔|
|24/7 monitoring ability||✔||✔||✔|
|Equipment price||$200+||$599+||Bundled with contract|
|Monthly monitoring price||$15 or $25||$40+||$29+|
|Professional installation||$79||Pricing by quote||$99+|
|Money-back guarantee||60 days||Warranty only||6 months|
The This Old House Reviews Team gives Brinks Home Security a 9.2 out of 10. If you’re searching for the lowest possible price, a generous trial period, and a free initial warranty, you might enjoy the variety of package options the company offers.
However, if you value low hardware costs and video streaming that comes standard with your home security system, you may want to consider another home security system provider.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for home security providers is on a 100-point scale based on 10 factors:
- Number of systems (5)
- Special features (10)
- Installation options (5)
- Connectivity and smart home automation (15)
- Pricing (15)
- Contract period (5)
- Warranty (15)
- Trial period (15)
- Usability (5)
- Trustworthiness (10)
Our team reviewed 32 companies and spent 744 hours researching and testing out products to help us compare home security systems on key factors such as package options, cost, reliability, and ease of use. Read more on our methodology here.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.