This Old House Rating: 9.2 / 10
If you’re looking for an easy home security system, you might be considering an Alder. But with so many competitors, you’re likely reading lots of Alder Home Security reviews and wondering if it’s the best home security system for you. Keep reading our review of Alder Home Security to learn more about the company and the home security that it offers.
Our Take on Alder Home Security
We rated Alder Home Security a 9.2 out of 10 and consider it the home security system that’s best for medical alerts. It offers custom-built packages, has high quality equipment that’s known for its simplicity and ease of use, and has a B rating from the BBB.
Pros and Cons of Alder Home Security
|✔ Simple and straightforward home security panel||✘ Lengthy 36-month initial contract required|
|✔ Most plans include 24/7 professional monitoring and mobile app access||✘ Difficult to cancel a contract|
|✔ One of the quickest average response times on the market (3.4 seconds)||--|
Alder Home Security Packages & Equipment
Unlike most home security companies, Alder security systems don’t come in a one-size-fits-all package. Instead, a representative will work with you directly to help you choose devices that fit the size and needs of your home.
Alder Home Security Equipment
Alder is known for it’s simple and minimalist equipment, in addition to its easy set up process that takes 15–20 minutes to install on your own. Here’s a little detail about equipment you can include in your custom home security package:
- Touchscreen Panel: This is the device that controls your entire system. Since it’s a cellular connection, you don’t have to worry about losing connection if your internet goes out. Additionally, it comes with batteries so that you can take it with your around your home or keep it on your bedside table at night.
- Indoor Security Camera: The indoor security camera has night vision, a wide angle lens, and two-way talk. The cameras also have baby crying detection and can send motion-activated notifications if you have a loved one that needs special attention.
- Outdoor Security Camera: Alder’s outdoor security cameras have night vision and a wide-angle lens so that you can see a large area with only one camera. The cameras also have motion detection, two-way audio, and mobile notifications so that you know what’s going on when you’re not home.
- Motion Sensor: This device uses infrared technology to detect when someone is in your home. If a sensor is tripped, a signal is sent to your security system’s control panel, which connects to your monitoring center, alerting you and the monitoring center to a potential threat in your dwelling.
- Door/Window Sensor: When your system is armed, these sensors will alert you and if doors or windows are opened. If your system is not armed, your base station will make a door chime sound when the sensor is activated from a door or window opening.
- Smart Smoke Detector: Alder’s smart smoke detectors will alert you before smoke signals start. It is also able to detect carbon monoxide in your home.
- Medical Alert Pendant: This is perfect for seniors who live alone or anyone with a serious medical condition. When the medical alert button is pressed, emergency services will be notified and on their way to help.
- Flood and Freeze Detectors: These will alert you if it detects any kind of water overflowing in your home. Most people put their detectors near sinks, appliances that use water, and major piping in their basement.
- Doorbell Camera: Alder’s doorbell allows you to view a livestream of what’s going on at your door, speak to visitors, and receive notifications when someone arrives (for example, when a package gets delivered).
Alder Home Security Pricing
Monthly monitoring prices from Alder begin at $39.99 per month, and you must sign an initial three-year contract to get started. Equipment pricing and additional information on monitoring expenses aren’t currently available online through Alder’s website.
To learn more about what you’ll pay for your Alder Home Security system, contact a sales representative by calling (844) 431-0264 or get an online quote here.
Alder Home Security Installation
Professional installation is not required by Alder. The cost of professional installation starts at $49 and will ultimately depend on the number of items that your purchased with your security system. The installation process usually takes around 15–20 minutes to complete yourself.
Alder’s installation process includes:
- Alder technicians arrive at your home.
- The equipment you purchased will be installed in the location of your choosing.
- Your Alder system is ready to be used immediately.
Alder Smart Home
Alder Security offers few smart home features with its home security systems besides the smart smoke detector. However, Alder offers unique value with the medical alert pendant and flood and freeze detectors. To get a free quote from Alder, fill out this simple online form.
Alder Home Security Warranties
All Alder Home Security equipment comes with a 12-month limited warranty. Customers can also purchase the Limited Lifetime Extended Warranty for an additional $3.00 a month. This extended warranty guarantees a repair or replacement whenever a piece stops working for the life of your contract.
Alder Home Security Reviews
Alder Home Security is currently not accredited with the Better Business Bureau and maintains a B rating from the BBB. Customers who had a positive experience with Alder Home Security praised the professionalism and friendliness of the company’s sales and installation team:
“Ronneil (representative) was awesome! Very respectful, great customer service skills, and knows the company very well. Maddy (installer) she was great! It didn’t take her long to install the equipment. She also knows the equipment very well. She was able to explain it to me without leaving any details out.” — Shomanika Y. on 10/26/2017
Customers who reported a negative experience with Alder Home Security complained about the company’s difficult-to-cancel contracts and made allegations regarding questionable sales tactics:
“This company conducted door to door solicitation to the elderly, specifically an early stage Alzheimer’s patient. Now that the daughter has taken over her financials, they won’t cancel the 5-year contract of which was signed after diagnosis. They keep lying saying that they need more documentation but now won’t answer communications and keep taking money via the auto payment.” — Willie M. on 09/30/2017
If you’re the type of homeowner who prefers a minimalist home security system that you can install on your own, an Alder system might be right for you. The company’s generous 12-month warranty is also great for budget-conscious homeowners.
On the other hand, Alder might not be the best option if a month-to-month contract is something that’s important to you.
If you’d like to get a free quote from Alder, call (844) 431-0264 or fill out an online form here.
Still uncertain if this company is the right option for you after reading this Alder Home Security review? Take a look at our quick comparison chart to see how they stack up against competing home security providers.
Alder Home Security vs. Competitors
|Specifications||Alder Home Security||ADT Home Security||Vivint Home Security|
|Specifications||Alder Home Security||ADT Home Security||Vivint Home Security|
|Pricing||View Plans||View Plans||View Plans|
|Mobile app access||✔||✔||✔|
|Smart home compatibility||–||✔||✔|
|Video streaming capability||✔||✔||✔|
|Money-back guarantee||30-day trial period||6-month trial period||3-day trial period|
More on Home Security Systems
- Vivint Home Security Review
- SimpliSafe Home Security Review
- ADT Home Security Review
- Abode Home Security Review
- Frontpoint Home Security Review
- Scout Home Security Review
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for home security providers is on a 100-point scale based on 10 factors:
- Number of systems (5)
- Special features (10)
- Installation options (5)
- Connectivity and smart home automation (15)
- Pricing (15)
- Contract period (5)
- Warranty (15)
- Trial period (15)
- Usability (5)
- Trustworthiness (10)
Our team reviewed 32 companies and spent 744 hours researching and testing out products to help us compare home security systems on key factors such as package options, cost, reliability, and ease of use. Read more on our methodology here.
Frequently Asked Questions about Alder Home Security
Are there warranties on Alder Home Security devices?
Alder Home Security offers a limited 12-month warranty on all of its equipment. Alder also offers a Limited Lifetime Equipment warranty for an additional $3.00 per month, which extends your warranty to the full period during which you have a service contract with Alder.
Is there a trial period with Alder Home Security?
Alder Home Security offers a 30-day trial period for its home security systems.
How do I discontinue Alder Home Security?
Cancelling your Alder Home Security contract can be a hassle. To cancel your contract, you must call Alder’s customer service department no less than 30 days before you want to cancel your service. Most negative customer testimonials mention a lengthy cancellation process, so be sure that you’re comfortable with Alder’s pricing before you buy.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.