In this video, This Old House host Kevin O'Connor and plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey discuss various types of DIY safety gear.
1. Wear safety glasses to protect eyes from flying chips, dust and debris.
Some models have lanyards for draping over neck.
2. For working in dimly lit areas, consider safety glasses with built-in LED work lights.
3. Protect your hearing by wearing rubber earplugs, or earmuff-style protection;
some models even have a radio built into them.
4. Use a dust mask with a release valve to protect your lungs from wood dust.
5. For protection from harmful vapors, wear a dual-cartridge respirator.