In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey describes how an in-home sprinkler system works.
Steps for Installing a Sprinkler System
- Determine the home's water pressure, then have a layout technician custom-design the sprinkler system for each room.
- A series of plastic or steel pipes is run inside the walls, floors and ceilings, connecting to concealed sprinkler heads.
- In the evident of a fire, the cover plate concealing the sprinkler head drops off when temperatures reach 135 degrees.
- The deflector drops down, then the sprinkler head opens and sprays water onto the fire.
- The sprinkler system is connected to a central alert center. When the system is activated, it automatically notifies the local fire department.