When you move into a new home, you should change the locks on your house. You have no idea how many copies of the house keys are floating around out there from the previous homeowners, so changing the locks will keep your new house more secure. Tom recommends changing the locks whenever a new home is purchased.
How Much Does It Cost to Change the Locks on a House?
Depending on the lockset you get it can range from $40 to $400. The door knob and dead bolt lock set Tom demonstrated in this video with was a Plymouth Single Cylinder Knob Combo pack with a bright brass finish. It is manufactured by Schlage and can be found at most home centers.
Changing Locks on a New House in 5 Steps
- Take an inventory of all the doors with locks in the house.
- Purchase new door knob lock sets at a home center. Look for knobs that are labeled “keyed alike” or have a matching code so that you can use the same key on all the doors. Most home centers can also rekey the lock sets when you buy them.
- To change the locks, unscrew the door knob from the inside and pull the knobs apart.
- Insert the new knobs into the door opening.
- Screw the new knobs into the door.
Is your home protected from everyday wear and tear? Check out our local home warranty resources.