In this video, Ask This Old House host Kevin O'Connor helps a homeowner install a wireless alarm system.
Steps for Installing a Security System
- Pick a central location in the house and plug the base station into an electrical outlet.
- Install an entry sensor on the front door by first pulling the plastic tab to activate the internal battery.
- Peel off the protective paper from the back of the battery sensor to expose the adhesive strip. Press the sensor onto the door.
- Remove the peel-and-stick backing from the magnetic sensor and press it onto the door's side jamb, making sure to align it with the battery sensor.
- Repeat the previous three steps to install entry sensors on windows and other exterior doors.
- Mount a wireless motion sensor to the wall just inside the front door.
- Install wireless smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout the house.
- Mount the digital control keypad to the interior wall right beside the front door.
- Program a personal pass code into the keypad for arming and disarming the alarm system.
- You can also operate the system with a key fob or smartphone app on your cell phone.
- Configure the video security camera to your home's Wi-Fi system.
- Plug the camera into an electrical outlet. Then test the system.