In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook shares tips for conserving water while maintaining a lush lawn.
1. Attach manual timer to sillcock (hose faucet) and then connect garden hose to timer.
2. Install sprinkler to end of hose then set the timer for up to 45 minutes.
3. The timer will water the lawn for the selected amount of time, and then automatically shut off the flow of water.
4. Connect a battery-powered timer to sillcock, and then attach hose with sprinkler.
5. Program the timer when to turn on, how long run, and when to turn off.
6. To control an in-ground sprinkler system, use an electronic zone timer with rain sensor. The sensor will automatically shut off the sprinkler system if it’s raining.
7. For optimum control of a sprinkler system, install a smart electronic timer that’s equipped with a sensor that measures rain and air temperature.