In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook creates a clean garden edge.
Steps for Edging a Garden Bed:
- Remove and discard all old plastic edging from garden bed.
- Use metal edger to cut into ground along edge of existing garden bed.
- Lay garden hose on ground to establish the outline of the newly expanded garden bed.
- Cut down into the grass along the hose with a metal edger.
- Pull back on the edger's handle to form a shallow trench along the garden bed.
- Use a shovel to remove grass from within the newly expanded garden bed.
- Spread 2 to 3 inches of pine-bark mulch over the soil to deter weed growth.
- Smooth out the mulch with a rake.
- Move some of the perennials from the old garden into new bed.
- Thoroughly water the transplanted plants.