16 posts / 0 new
Last post
jesse
Your opinion

I am in the process of buying my first house. I am pretty clueless when it comes to tools. I have been doing some reserch and found some Ryobi tools at home depot that seem pretty nice. I know they probably are not top of the line but I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience or opinions on this brand?
If they aren't any good I will just heed the advice others have given on here and go buy some nice corded tools. Thanks for your help.

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Your opinion

Ryobi makes fair low use, light duty tools. It's going to depend on for what and how much you will use them. My tools are used almost daily so I buy heavier more expensive tools.
Jack

A. Spruce
Re: Your opinion

As a fellow professional, I too will recommend better quality tools.

Setting quality of tool aside for the moment, IMHO it's important that the abilities of the user be taken into account as well as the amount the tool will be used. If you only wish to hang a picture every once in a while or an occasional towel bar, then you're not in need of a big, sturdy, and expensive tool. However, if you're planning on renovating a house, multiple homes, or do regular DIY'r, then the need for better tools is a requirement. I personally wouldn't touch a Ryobi, nor a Rigid.

You can save yourself quite a bit of money by purchasing a combination pack of tools. Determine what you have a need and use for and then shop that list between the different manufacturers. The one thing I'll say with certainty is that the DeWalt cordless sawzall is worthless. It doesn't have the power to cut anything of value, and depletes batteries quickly. The corded version is excellent

plastrr385
Re: Your opinion

A.Spruce

Question... What do you have against Rigid tools ? I love mine. Their radio is a waste though!

canuk
Re: Your opinion

Sprucey's on Dewalts payroll. :D:p

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Your opinion

Personally, I buy the best tool for the job I can afford,. I have Dewalt, Bosch, Ridgid, and Porter Cable among others in my shop.

I don't like the combo sets, they are more expensive in the long run because the battery is the weak link and you only get 1 or 2 batteries to power several units in a combo kit.
Jack

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Your opinion

And for DIYers, I always recommend you start with corded tools. You can buy a very good 12 ga. 25 foot extension cord for less than a battery for the battery tools and if you are working on your house and you don't have an electric outlet within 25 feet of where you are working you need to call an electrician. And, batteries will die if they are not used also.
Jack

A. Spruce
Re: Your opinion
plastrr385 wrote:

A.Spruce

Question... What do you have against Rigid tools ? I love mine. Their radio is a waste though!

They've always impressed me as Evil Orange's cheapy private labeled line of junk. As I mentioned, I've seen some in heavy use and abuse and they seem to be holding up well.

canuk wrote:

Sprucey's on Dewalts payroll. :D:p

I wish! Heck, I was doing work for a local rep and the best I could do was buy tools at his cost, which was only slightly less than what I could strong arm my supplier for. And I know the scrollsaw I bought from him "fell off the back of a truck", so not much of a deal.

JLMCDANIEL wrote:

Personally, I buy the best tool for the job I can afford,. I have Dewalt, Bosch, Ridgid, and Porter Cable among others in my shop.

I don't like the combo sets, they are more expensive in the long run because the battery is the weak link and you only get 1 or 2 batteries to power several units in a combo kit.
Jack

Speaking for DeWalt, Amazon recently had two batteries for $100. The local Evil Orange ran the same offer for a short period. And their combo kits aren't too bad. I've purchased three, 2 - saw/drill combo's and 1 - saw/drill/sawzall/flashlight. You generally get 2 batteries and a charger with any kit, regardless of tool count. If you price the individual tools it ads up more quickly than buying the combo pack.

A. Spruce
Re: Your opinion
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

And for DIYers, I always recommend you start with corded tools. You can buy a very good 12 ga. 25 foot extension cord for less than a battery for the battery tools and if you are working on your house and you don't have an electric outlet within 25 feet of where you are working you need to call an electrician. And, batteries will die if they are not used also.
Jack

Another good point, and goes back to my first comment on the amount of use a tool will see. Regular use, the batteries will hold a charge and give a good long life, however if batteries are left partially used, that is hard on them and they degrade more quickly. We're talking about leaving things sit for weeks or months between uses, not overnight.

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Your opinion
A. Spruce wrote:

If you price the individual tools it ads up more quickly than buying the combo pack.

Yes but with the individual tools you also get batteries and charges, so IMHO the price is almost a wash.
Jack

jesse
Re: Your opinion

Thanks everyone. I have been doing some research and I think I will go with DeWalt, but I will buy mostly corded thanks to all your advice.

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.