Home>Discussions>YOUR HOME>Your New Home>Old or new water damage
12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Copperelm
Old or new water damage
Copperelm

First time home owner

Purchased a home "as is" foreclosure in south Florida

I noticed that a baseboard below a window in an upstairs bedroom had some indentations in it. I called for another termite inspection and it came up negative. He seamed to think it was water damage but couldn't tell if it was old or new.

I'm about to paint that room so I pulled out the moulding. I should note it's a wall that buts up to the first floor roof and it's below a window. It doesn't feel mast but clearly at some point it had water in it. The window exterior has some hairline cracks in it (stucco house) I have attached some pictures. Should I call a professional to repair this? If yes what type of person do I call. Just a general handyman? I'm fairly handy with wood but I have never messed with construction.

If during the next heavy rain I don't notice any wetness. Do you think it will be ok to leave it?

House details

built 2006 reputable builder M&I homes
Location: South florida
House type. 1st floor concrete block 2nd floor wood framing
issue: 2nd floor bedroom possible water damage

some reason it will not let me upload photos so her is a gallery link

or

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wwoa7s9ai6zsfey/AAC-kwR-88c87b-hM0vc45b_a?dl=0

dj1
Re: Old or new water damage
dj1

I want to know if the house is wrapped, because from picture #2 there seems to be no wrap and evidence of dry rot.

Quote: "Should I call a professional to repair this?"

If it's beyond your ability, yes, by all means. Get some opinions from stucco contractors, since they usually wrap the house and install chicken wire, before applying stucco.

Copperelm
Re: Old or new water damage
Copperelm
dj1 wrote:

I want to know if the house is wrapped, because from picture #2 there seems to be no wrap and evidence of dry rot.

Quote: "Should I call a professional to repair this?"

If it's beyond your ability, yes, by all means. Get some opinions from stucco contractors, since they usually wrap the house and install chicken wire, before applying stucco.

Thanks for the reply! How do I tell if it's wrapped? Would the wrap be behind the insulation? This is the 2nd floor and it goes from Concrete block on the 1st to wood framing on the 2nd. Not sure if that info helps.

Best
E

ed21
Re: Old or new water damage
ed21

Any stucco cracks on the sill should be taken care of. They look relatively small, but they can let water in.
It looks like water intrusion and a bit of rot. That's usually caused by a damp condition.
I can't believe code or inspector would allow no building wrap or felt, but water can still get in the wall, especially at windows. If the water getting in is stopped, I don't see why you couldn't repair the wall yourself.

dj1
Re: Old or new water damage
dj1
Copperelm wrote:

Thanks for the reply! How do I tell if it's wrapped? Would the wrap be behind the insulation? This is the 2nd floor and it goes from Concrete block on the 1st to wood framing on the 2nd. Not sure if that info helps.

Best
E

The wrap or felt paper goes between the studs and the stucco, on the exterior side.

So you can see, that if you don't have a house wrap or felt paper, you have nothing to stop water from coming in.

Building a home without wrapping it is a code violation, even if you are a reputable builder.

To install wrap now, you'll have to remove the stucco. Mucho Dineros.

Find out if you have wrap under the stucco, and if not, your next move should be to call a real estate lawyer.

Copperelm
Re: Old or new water damage
Copperelm
ed21 wrote:

Any stucco cracks on the sill should be taken care of. They look relatively small, but they can let water in.
It looks like water intrusion and a bit of rot. That's usually caused by a damp condition.
I can't believe code or inspector would allow no building wrap or felt, but water can still get in the wall, especially at windows. If the water getting in is stopped, I don't see why you couldn't repair the wall yourself.

Hey,

Thank you for replying as well. I must be stupid. Both you and dj are referring to the wrap. How do I tell? The photos are from the inside. So if the wrap is between the studs and stuco I would need to look behind the insulation right? Is it a specific color? I carved out some more of the baseboard and Sheetrock. It looks like it spans 5 feet before stopping. It's not supper brittle but an exacto knife and a little force pulls the wood away. The studs line up with wth window. They are 4 studs line dead up together on either side of the window casing.

ed21
Re: Old or new water damage
ed21

I don't believe there is any way to know if there is a wrap other than pulling a portion of the exterior off. It would be attached to whatever sheathing was used. Maybe you could remove some sheathing from the interior side. I wouldn't bother. I would rely on code and inspector at this point since the house is relatively new and assume it's there. Windows and opening are the likely place for water to get in a wall.
Is there a drainage screed on the exterior to allow water to get out.
I would concentrate on the window and sill to make sure the wall is watertight.
I'm more familiar with synthetic stucco (EIFS) than real stucco, but they have similarities when it comes to leaking. One issue is letting any water that gets in a chance to drain.

Copperelm
Re: Old or new water damage
Copperelm
ed21 wrote:

I don't believe there is any way to know if there is a wrap other than pulling a portion of the exterior off. It would be attached to whatever sheathing was used. Maybe you could remove some sheathing from the interior side. I wouldn't bother. I would rely on code and inspector at this point since the house is relatively new and assume it's there. Windows and opening are the likely place for water to get in a wall.
Is there a drainage screed on the exterior to allow water to get out.
I would concentrate on the window and sill to make sure the wall is watertight.
I'm more familiar with synthetic stucco (EIFS) than real stucco, but they have similarities when it comes to leaking. One issue is letting any water that gets in a chance to drain.

Thanks! I was getting a bit confused. I hate to ask for a guess here but you might be able to put my mind at ease wile I wait for a contractor. It looks like it affected the entire area under the window. About 3 FT wide . I have 4 studs butted up to one another on each side of the window and 2 directly under the window. Not to mention the horizontal stud. In your guesstimation does this look like a couple $1000 problem or a couple $10,000 worth of problem?

Copperelm
Re: Old or new water damage
Copperelm

Also, anyone hav opinions on using epoxy to strengthen what is there instead of replacing?

ed21
Re: Old or new water damage
ed21

Are the studs really compromised? If the damage is minimal and the water intrusion stopped I'm not sure they need replacing. Rot will not continue if the wood is dry, even though people call it "dry rot". I've heard antifreeze painted on wood will inhibit rot. Not sure that's true. Actual inspection is required to tell what's going on. I have used epoxy for some minor repairs. I doubt I would use it to repair a stud that needs replacing.
As far as cost-it all depends what's done. Get more than one estimate.

Copperelm
Re: Old or new water damage
Copperelm
ed21 wrote:

Are the studs really compromised? If the damage is minimal and the water intrusion stopped I'm not sure they need replacing. Rot will not continue if the wood is dry, even though people call it "dry rot". I've heard antifreeze painted on wood will inhibit rot. Not sure that's true. Actual inspection is required to tell what's going on. I have used epoxy for some minor repairs. I doubt I would use it to repair a stud that needs replacing.
As far as cost-it all depends what's done. Get more than one estimate.

Ed I really appreciate the response. Being a new home own and uncovering the unexpended was a bit unsettling. I will have it inspected and see. Incase you are curious I will update this thread once I get a few to review. I figure I will look someone up on Angie's List. If anyone knows of a good contractor in South Florida West Palm Beach or Gardens Area let me know.

Best
E

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.