Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>Need to replace a breaker in my panel
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Need to replace a breaker in my panel

I havea line that's on a breaker in my panel box and the breaker is over loaded. The breaker is a 20A and I have two (2) 30A lines that are not in use. I want to change the 20A for one of the 30's, how do I do this.

I believe I just need to throw the main switch and pull out the 20 and then pull out the 30 and put it in the 20 spot. Am I correct and is it hard to pull out the breakers?

Re: Need to replace a breaker in my panel

First of all it will depend on the size of the wiring in the 20 amp service. If it's only 12 ga wire it should not be put on a 30 amp breaker. The proper way to do it is to remove some of the load from the circuit and put it on a separate breaker. You should never put a breaker larger than the NEC rating of the wiring allows. If you end up with an electrical fire your insurance could refuse to pay.

Re: Need to replace a breaker in my panel

Thank you Jack. I guess now I neeed to hire an electrician.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.