Home>Discussions>YOUR HOME>Home & Real Estate>Major issue in the home inspection report?
7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cindylynn13
Major issue in the home inspection report?

Hello-
We recently had a home inspection on house we are looking into purchasing. We are unsure of what items are going to be costly and what we should or shouldn't ask the seller to repair. Here are our major concerns:

1. Garage
The detatched two car garage was reported to us by the inspector to be of "no value"
-concrete floor has cracked and settled as well as foundation causing movement to structure which now leans towards right. Due to movement structure needs to be evaluated by a contractor.
-Garage damage to sill and stud right side, repairs needed for support (termites)
We had a contractor out who told is it is 17,000 to repair!

2. Roof
-Multi-layers in place (3 asphalt shingles and 1 wood)
-There are loose lifted and missing shingles
-The roof has a few years left in it but it will be very expensive to replace/only 2 layers allowed in our state.

3.Chimney
-Not able to evaluate if flue is lined
-Some deteriorated masonry at top/ cracks at face
-Add chimney caps
-reseal chimney flashings as needed (water stains are evident)

4. Water Boiler
WeilMcLane Boiler has no flush valve
-add valve to flush water out for required maintenance

5. Electric
-replace double tap with a mini-breaker

Then there are little things that I think are minor. Let me know if anything jumps out at you!

Driveway
-has cracks and depressions

Front steps
-Surface deterioration to concrete at steps

Back steps
-No landing at steps

Windows
-Broken sash line (10 broken in office 3 in dining area)
-Broken pane in basement above oil tank
-Broken pane in dining room

Upstairs bathroom-
Re-caulk and seal tub water spout at enclosure

Doors
-Front 2 doors and side door have putty and paint over rot
-Need to add deadbolt to side door for security due to door being installed backwards

Electric Exterior
-Electric service entry needs to be secured
-strap plastic vertical pipe for service line to structure is advised
-service entry through siding is not sealed
-gasket is damaged
-both can allow water entry to service

-garage electrical box needs to be reconnected

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

cjsand
Re: Major issue in the home inspection report?

would you be getting the house far enough below market value to fix these items, im not sure you could get insurance on the roof?

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Major issue in the home inspection report?

Sounds like a lot that needs to be done and a lot that had been done was done wrong. Just a rough guess but I would say you are looking at between $100K and $150K plus what ever modernization you want to add.
Jack

Cindylynn13
Re: Major issue in the home inspection report?

Wow thats alot!! Any idea where the biggest expenses will come from?

canuk
Re: Major issue in the home inspection report?
Cindylynn13 wrote:

Hello-
We recently had a home inspection on house we are looking into purchasing. We are unsure of what items are going to be costly and what we should or shouldn't ask the seller to repair.

You could ask the seller to look after everything ...... but I think you would be politely told to take a hike.

However ........ it's not unrealistic to insist on the seller to take care of the breaker issue since this is a code violation and the boiler valve to be installed. I would also press the other issues with the exterior electrical service sealing, securing, etc. also be addressed.
Both of which will be done by professionals and proof of which should be provided.

Everything else is basically " as is " .... not likely the seller would be willing to be responsible for.

Quote:

1. Garage
The detatched two car garage was reported to us by the inspector to be of "no value"
-concrete floor has cracked and settled as well as foundation causing movement to structure which now leans towards right. Due to movement structure needs to be evaluated by a contractor.
-Garage damage to sill and stud right side, repairs needed for support (termites)
We had a contractor out who told is it is 17,000 to repair!

Sight unseen ..... sounds like a complete tear down and replace .... not worth repairing.

Quote:

2. Roof
-Multi-layers in place (3 asphalt shingles and 1 wood)
-There are loose lifted and missing shingles
-The roof has a few years left in it but it will be very expensive to replace/only 2 layers allowed in our state.

If there are loose and missing shingles I doubt there's a few years left for this roof.
Hard to say what the cost would be sight unseen .... depends on the square footage , accessibility and design of the roof. One thing for sure is there will be extra cost because of the many layers to strip off. There's also a chance the decking may be in need of repair also gutters, flashing and drip edge replacement.

While this is technically a code violation I highly doubt the seller would entertain the idea of getting the roof redone .... you would be on your own.

You will want to have this taken care of very soon since this will compromise the roof structure with all that weight ..... especially if you live in an area with snow.

Quote:

3.Chimney
-Not able to evaluate if flue is lined
-Some deteriorated masonry at top/ cracks at face
-Add chimney caps
-reseal chimney flashings as needed (water stains are evident)

This can be done at the time the roof is redone. Not likely the seller would entertain repairing this.

Quote:

4. Water Boiler
WeilMcLane Boiler has no flush valve
-add valve to flush water out for required maintenance

This I would insist the seller has done by a professional and provide proof .

Quote:

5. Electric
-replace double tap with a mini-breaker

This is a code violation and legally the seller should have this repaired.

Quote:

Then there are little things that I think are minor. Let me know if anything jumps out at you!

Driveway
-has cracks and depressions

Front steps
-Surface deterioration to concrete at steps

Back steps
-No landing at steps

Windows
-Broken sash line (10 broken in office 3 in dining area)
-Broken pane in basement above oil tank
-Broken pane in dining room

Upstairs bathroom-
Re-caulk and seal tub water spout at enclosure

Doors
-Front 2 doors and side door have putty and paint over rot
-Need to add deadbolt to side door for security due to door being installed backwards

Many of these things are indications of deterioration , disrepair and neglect ...... not likely the seller would consider repairing any of these .... you might get away of having the deadbolt installed and the caulking in the bathroom.

Quote:

Electric Exterior
-Electric service entry needs to be secured
-strap plastic vertical pipe for service line to structure is advised
-service entry through siding is not sealed
-gasket is damaged
-both can allow water entry to service

Yes ..... insist on having these done at the same time as the correction of the double tap inside the panel.

Quote:

-garage electrical box needs to be reconnected

Don't bother since the garage sounds like it needs to be torn down.

As previously mentioned unless this home is below market value it might be better to keep looking.
Since there is obviously neglect , disrepair and deterioration over the years ........ likely lots of hidden problems yet to be discovered.

If this is a must have house then bring in contractors to quote on these repairs and then you will see how much you will be in for upfront ..... then take that dollar value to negotiate you purchase price.

2 cents worth.

Timothy Miller
Re: Major issue in the home inspection report?

RUN! termites likly found the house too..... Electrical service needs inspection to see if the panle is large enough for the currant laod at the very least.

A. Spruce
Re: Major issue in the home inspection report?

I agree with Tim, way too many big, expensive things that need to be addressed.

Garage - It will probably be cheaper to tear it down and start anew. One problem with that is, many jurisdictions will allow the repair of a building but won't allow building a new one in the same place for various reasons, such as set back from the property line or maximum plot fill restrictions (only so much dirt can be covered by structures ). If you purchase this property, know what your options are BEFORE you start demolition.

The house issues. It sounds like there are significant problems that will be costly. While I think Jack's assessment may be a bit high, you're in for a major bite to your wallet none-the-less. You have to keep in mind the cost of repairs versus the real value of the property in prime condition. You never want to spend more than the property is worth, particularly if this is an investment property rather than a primary residence, but the same holds true for a primary home.

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.