Home>Discussions>YOUR HOME>Your New Home>House fire not disclosed??? what to do legally and expect in the house
16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cannotdo
House fire not disclosed??? what to do legally and expect in the house

We bought this house which was a short sale. It was not in the best of the conditions but know our neighbore told me that the house had an explosion and was on fire!!!!!!!!!!

Do we have any rights to persue a seller for not disclosing this imporatnt fact? I live in NJ and would like any suggestions.

Also please do suggest what type of damage should be expected in this house or I should look for. My little boy sleeps in the room the explosion took place. When we bought the place the owner had done the cosmatics and the inspector also did not menstion any such thing.

HelPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Thanks

Cannotdo
Re: House fire not disclosed??? what to do legally and expect in the house

Well, I got the fire report, it says that it was an electrical fire? Someone was playing X-box or something and the outlet got heated and busted or something!!!

Can this really happen...

Any comments??????????????

libcarp
Re: House fire not disclosed??? what to do legally and expect in the house
Cannotdo wrote:

...the house had an explosion and was on fire!

So what? If it was repaired and you or the home inspector didn't notice it what difference does it make? By the way, did they mentioned that Uncle Jones shot himself in the head and died on the kitchen room floor? That same year Mother Mary choked to death on an overly hard piece of bread stuffing at thanksgiving? And that the entire lot was an ancient Indian burial ground? Oh, and a long time ago, where the master bedroom is located now, a Brontosaurus took both a leak and a dump? Look, none of those things make any difference, just enjoy your new home!

A. Spruce
Re: House fire not disclosed??? what to do legally and expect in the house

Libcarp makes an interesting post, but none the less is true. Is a fire due to negligence any more or less important than any other triviality of life? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for disclosure of structural issues, however a fire caused by the homeowner/tenant is no more relevant that a brontosaurus turd. Someone dying of natural causes or suicide is equally inane. Murder could be an indicator of the neighborhood, but death in and of itself is not noteworthy as far as the structure or neighborhood. IMHO, in today's litigious society, everyone is looking for an "out" in life, which really doesn't exist. All you have to go on is gut instinct and the word of the "professionals" you've brought to the table, again, those professionals are being paid for their opinions which are just that, opinions.

In the end it comes to this. Either you love the house - with it's warts and problems that you've used due diligence to find - or you don't. If, in the opinion of the experts you've enlisted, the home is suitable and habitable, only you can determine if it's a good place for you.

BigWalt
Re: House fire not disclosed??? what to do legally and expect in the house

My 2¢....I think it is buyer's remorse.

Buyer did specifically say they bought this house which was a short sale. It was not in the best of the conditions .....
Buyer probably realized that the house repair cost more than they originally though and looking for a way out....

canuk
Re: House fire not disclosed??? what to do legally and expect in the house

If you are concerned about the integrity of the home after the repairs due to the fire ... check with the local building department for permits that would / should have been issued and inspected for the repairs.

Cannotdo
Re: House fire not disclosed??? what to do legally and expect in the house

I would agree with you…and focus on the present and not the past…once I find out the house is safe for my family and me….your point is well taken…thanks

Cannotdo
Re: House fire not disclosed??? what to do legally and expect in the house
BigWalt wrote:

My 2¢....I think it is buyer's remorse.

Buyer did specifically say they bought this house which was a short sale. It was not in the best of the conditions .....
Buyer probably realized that the house repair cost more than they originally though and looking for a way out....

Buyer’s remorse! Indeed…first time home buyer like us would feel cheated when told that beside the obvious repairs there have been problems that were not disclosed….I do translate it a way more money in the pit then generously anticipated!

Cannotdo
Re: House fire not disclosed??? what to do legally and expect in the house
canuk wrote:

If you are concerned about the integrity of the home after the repairs due to the fire ... check with the local building department for permits that would / should have been issued and inspected for the repairs.

Thanks for your suggestion…now that’s what I wanted to know …i.e. how to know if there were proper repairs made after the fire.

BigWalt
Re: House fire not disclosed??? what to do legally and expect in the house
Cannotdo wrote:

Buyer’s remorse! Indeed…first time home buyer like us would feel cheated when told that beside the obvious repairs there have been problems that were not disclosed….I do translate it a way more money in the pit then generously anticipated!

#1...who's fault it is? You did say the house isn't in great shape. You shoulda walk away from it in first place....remember this...there are no victims, just volunteers.

#2... If the house were damage by fire or whatever you can think of, what differences does it make? It is repaired isn't it? Inspector will know if your house has structure issue.
It is like buying a used car from private seller or dealership, the car may be in fender bender or whatever but it looks good and drives good and no structure issue, the car is safe to drive..period! Don't bother telling me about Car fax, it is the biggest joke. Car Fax report is not nearly 50 to 100% accurate.

libcarp said it best......So what? If it was repaired and you or the home inspector didn't notice it what difference does it make?

anyway, about the fire damage...when did it happen?
You did mention you got fire report...post the date here.....

Cannotdo
Re: House fire not disclosed??? what to do legally and expect in the house
BigWalt wrote:

#1...who's fault it is? You did say the house isn't in great shape. You shoulda walk away from it in first place....remember this...there are no victims, just volunteers.

#2... If the house were damage by fire or whatever you can think of, what differences does it make? It is repaired isn't it? Inspector will know if your house has structure issue.
It is like buying a used car from private seller or dealership, the car may be in fender bender or whatever but it looks good and drives good and no structure issue, the car is safe to drive..period! Don't bother telling me about Car fax, it is the biggest joke. Car Fax report is not nearly 50 to 100% accurate.

libcarp said it best......So what? If it was repaired and you or the home inspector didn't notice it what difference does it make?

anyway, about the fire damage...when did it happen?
You did mention you got fire report...post the date here.....

Seems like that if there was a structural problem in the house the inspector would have told us about it....from all of the above comments ...i conclude that the repairs fixed the problem after the fire and thats why no disclosure was needed. This thread is the result of not trusting the inspector's results since he did not mention the fire. It made me anxious about the safty of the house, thinking " if didnt mention this, i dont know what else ( that is structural or danger of some other form) he may have not mentioned. I guess I am wrong to think that?

The fire took place in early 2007!

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.