2 posts / 0 new
Last post
bradford
fieldstone info, please

I bought an old 1790 stone house about a year ago and have just started to find mold in the basement. From what I understand, these houses were built so that the basement walls would acclimate to the water table and so sealing the basement off is a bad idea. On the other hand, scrubbing it out because of the crumbly quality of the morter, plaster, and stone. I was going to spray a bleach solution, but I've heard new guidelines saying that the dead mold spores are as unhealthy as the live. So, what do I do? ( I already have a dehumidifier, for all the good that does).

Sombreuil_mongrel
Re: fieldstone info, please

Hi,
If need be, add a second dehumi and a fan to move the air around. I have a three-room limestone basement that was built about 1900, and use one dehumi and one fan ( a cheap box fan) and it's basically under control.
Before coming upon the fan idea, I had to move the unit from room to room = big hassle.
S_M

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.