4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Federal Pacific panel

Question regarding electrical service in our church building.

Original electrical came in through the meter to a 200A inline fuse disconnect. Then to a 100A inline fuse disconnect, which entered the building and fed a Federal Pacific load center. FP box also has a 50A feed over to a Seimens sub-panel.

100A disconnect has been replaced with a 200A Square-D Homeline panel, with a 100A feed into the old FP panel. All done by a licensed electrician w/ permit and inspected.

Nobody said anything about the Federal Pacific panel.

Research I've done indicates that Federal Pacific Electric Stab-Lok breakers may not trip when an overcurrent condition exists, causing fires, etc.

Question: Did FPE produce panels that are okay? I'm not sure if this is a Stab-Lok panel. (I'm not there right now) I do know it's Federal Pacific. I remember seeing screws on the front w/ cover in place marked "raise". Is there anything specific I should be looking for? Should I be strongly recommending this panel be replaced?


Re: Federal Pacific panel

My post got redirected for some reason. General rule if it is a FP panel replace or increase insurance.

Re: Federal Pacific panel

Thanks Jack. I'll make a recommendation at the next board meeting.

Just read an article about a woman who had her insurance cancelled because the insurer found out she had a FP panel.

Re: Federal Pacific panel

I'm getting my FPE panels replaced. From what data I could gather from online, it appears that they all need to be replaced.

Hopefully this site is helpful FPE information.

Hopefully posting this link isn't an issue - if so - let me know and I'll remove it!

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.