Home>Discussions>TV>Ask This Old House>Complete Restoration Of 1860 Home Turned Nightmare
2 posts / 0 new
Last post
badolehouse
Complete Restoration Of 1860 Home Turned Nightmare
badolehouse

I just need some general advice on what I need to do to get started on repairing a very old home. I have already had to have the support structure under the house replaced because the back porch almost fell completely off.:eek: Then I noticed the coal fireplaces were bricked up with the coal left in them!:mad: I have bricks made of ? and morter made of ? that is crumbling all over the place. OK! I know, one thing at a time!:o Any information would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank You!!!

Re: Complete Restoration Of 1860 Home Turned Nightmare

I will direct my attention to your brick/mortar and plaster. The original mortar is a lime and sand mixture. your bricks are most likely a soft fired brick, don't use modern mortar on them. It sounds like your house has a case of deferred maintenance. A case of leave it for the next guy. I would suggest that you be aware that many items manufactured today are not designed for historic houses, they are designed for modern houses. It makes a big difference. Well good luck when you are done it will be wonderful.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.