5 posts / 0 new
Last post
cdill
80 or 90 plus

Lookin to replace my old furnace. The house is 33 years old. What furnace should I replace it with a 80 or 90 plus?

JLMCDANIEL
Re: 80 or 90 plus

From what I have seen I personally would go with the 80 even though fuel costs are up. The 90 is more expensive initially, maintenance costs are much higher, and maintenance is required more often. I believe the extra costs far outweigh the savings in fuel cost. Just my personal opinion. I will note I am not an HVAC guy.
Jack

JacktheShack

cdill:

I agree with McDaniel, but could you provide more info as to exactly what type of system you have in mind.

Some people refer to a hot water heating system as a "furnace", when they actually mean to say a BOILER--a boiler supplies piped hot water to room radiators, baseboard or underfloor radiant heating pipes.

A "furnace" thus specifically refers to a forced hot air heating system that supplies hot air to a duct system and hot air registers in the rooms.

Could you also advise if you now use oil or natural gas, or propane as a fuel & your general location.

Please post back.

cdill

I live in Mentor, OH and use natural gas. The old furnace is a 175000 btu Rheem that supplies forced hot air to a duct system . The house is 2800 sq ft colonial. I have been quoted a 125000 btu Ducane furnace to replace the old one. Thank you very much for all your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

heyalvy

i like the 90 plus. they are much more reliable now and pretty cheap to buy. plus, venting is easier.

alvy

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.