Home>Discussions>YOUR HOME>Seasonal Upkeep>70's gas insert for fireplace question.
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
PDX
70's gas insert for fireplace question.
PDX

Hello friends. I have 1 70's gas insert that has worked ok for the 6 years we have owned our late 40's home. Today I noticed on the faux logs and underneath where the controls are some stuff that looks like large pieces or flakes of lint. It looks like lint but turns to powder when touched. It almost resembles like a rat chewed through the top and stuff is falling down on top of the faux logs. What could it be and what should I do? I have had the fireplace on now for about 2 weeks and just now noticed it today. Thanks!

function
Re: 70's gas insert for fireplace question.
function

You should be happy the insert lasted 40 years and get a new one.

Jack
Re: 70's gas insert for fireplace question.
Jack

It could be some asbestos rap that is starting to deteriorate.

Jack

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.