1 out of 5EasyIt just requires a little patience and the holiday spirit
About $40 to $80 for an average-size tree
About 1 hour
In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook gives tips for picking the perfect Christmas tree.
Steps for Choosing a Christmas Tree
- When selecting a Christmas tree, look for nice conical shape, uniform deep-green color, and stiff branches that can support heavy ornaments.
- After cutting, shake the tree to remove debris.
- Pull just-cut tree through a baler; the tight-fitting plastic netting will protect the branches during transport.
- Once home, use handsaw to cut 1 or 2 inches from base of tree.
- Trim off some of the lower limbs using a handsaw or lopper.
- Put base on tree, then use rubber mallet to tap the base’s spike into the tree.
- Carry tree into the house with the base attached.
- Stand up tree, cut away netting, then adjust the base screws until tree is perfectly straight.
- Fill base with cold tap water.