In this video, This Old House features editor, Amy R. Hughes explains how to make a folding screen using old hinges and shutters.
1. Lay the shutters side by side on a worktable, and align their bottoms using a straightedge. (Shutter heights may vary, so be sure to use the bottoms as the baseline when taking measurements.)
2. Arrange one pair of hinges along the gap between two shutters, about a foot down from the top, and the other the same distance up from the bottom. Measure from the bottom of the shutters to the bottom edge of the hinge leaves and mark their locations.
3. Using a combination square, transfer those marks to the back of the third shutter to position the second pair of hinges.
4. Use your pencil to mark the locations of the screw holes.
Then, remove the hinges and bore the holes for their fasteners.
5. Reposition the hinges and drive in the screws.
6. Push soft vinyl furniture glides into the bottom corners of the two end shutters to help level the screen and prevent it from scuffing up your floors when you move it.
7. Set up your finished screen, and kick back with a book