In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva and host Kevin O’Connor explains how to cut glass.
Steps for cutting glass
- Lay damp rag on a clean workbench, set glass on top.
- Clean glass with window cleaner.
- Measure and mark the glass for cutting.
- Use duct tape to secure straightedge to glass.
- Lubricate wheel on glass cutter with cutting oil.
- Guide glass cutter along straightedge in one continuous pass to score the glass.
- Peel up the tape and remove straightedge.
- Use tapper on the cutter to lightly strike backside of glass along the scored line.
- Lay glass flat with a scored line over the edge of the workbench; press down to snap the glass.