In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains how to install a rain diverter.
Roof Rain Diverter Installation Steps
- Sand underside of flashing with 80-grit sandpaper to help paint adhere; wipe surface clean.
- Spray-paint bottom surface and up-turned edge of flashing to match color of roof.
- Cut flashing in half using aviation snips.
- Use flat pry bar to loosen stuck roof shingles.
- Lay one flashing piece upside-down (painted side facing up) on roof at an angle and slip it under the shingles; repeat for the other flashing piece.
- Secure the flashing with roofing nails; be sure to place each nail under a shingle.
- Cover the nail heads and seal down each shingle with caulk.
- Spray the roof with a garden hose to test the effectiveness of the rain diverter.
Tools & Materials