In this video, Ask This Old House general contractor Tom Silva shows a homeowner how to make her own rain barrel on a budget.
1. Drill a 1-inch hole at the bottom of the barrel using a power drill and a 1-inch hole-saw bit.
2. Wrap thread-sealing tape several times around the boiler shut-off valve threads and screw it into the hole.
3. Drill a 1-inch hole into the cap of the barrel using a power drill and a 1-inch hole-saw bit.
4. Attach tap to hole in the cap of the barrel.
5. Cut downspout using a hack saw into two pieces.
6. Attach diverter to downspout using a power drill and screws.
7. Connect hose to diverter and tap in cap of barrel.